Shure SCL3 for $59.99
Feb 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
I have two reasons for this post

First is to say that Guitar Center is selling these IEMs for $59.99 on presidents day (white only)

My second point is to ask how good of quality these are. I have been looking into full size headphones for the past month and have not looked into IEMs until now (mostly because of the great price). From the very brief reviews I have read, these are pretty good headphones but I want to hear what head-fi'ers have to say about them!

EDIT: The sale goes until Feb. 28th

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 9
If you like fairly good detail, excellent mids esp. voices, and clean highs, but only a hint of bass (and I mean only a hint), then these are for you. If you want bass impact and extension, then these will disappoint you.

I bought them when they were originally on sale in December and sold them within 10 days for the above reason.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 9
That's a disappointment. I was hoping that they would have a fair ammount of bass in them. Still worth $60 though?

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 9
There are other options for $60, including the Nuforce dynamic IEMs. I have the E4C (SCL4) and really enjoy them, but I don't know if Guitar Center is offering these for $80 anymore. I would recommend the SCL4, but I know a lot of people got their start with E3 (SCL3). Expect clear mids, a bit of rolled of highs, and very lean bass, but still a good deal at the price. Shure also has great customer service.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Unfortunately the SCL4's are selling for the full $250, which is a bummer.

Any other suggestions for IEM's that are under $100 and provide a decent amount of bass and all around decent?

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 9
I understand the Nuforce dynamic IEMs are getting good reviews, and are under $100 for either model. I am evaluating the Monster Turbine (a bit of a stretch at $150), but am absolutely blown away with the sound (and build) quality of these. Superb bass, great control across the spectrum, detailed delicate mids and highs.

Alternatively, you could go for a fullsize such as a lower-end Grado (SR60 is incredible and only $70, SR80 is $95).

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 9
I just looked at amazon and those monster IEMs are getting trashed. People really seem to hate them (although one guy recommended buying Bose headphones which really make me wonder how much he knows....)

I think I might just stick with the HFI-580 or ES7 headphones I was looking at. Just thought I would give these Shure's for a try if they were what I needed, but since they are lacking in bass. I'll have to pass

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 9
I would trust the reviews of the Monsters here on Head-Fi, but I would be skeptical of the Amazon reviews since Monster has a pretty loyal following of haters... especially "reviews" from Bose fans
wink.gif

The SLC3 / E3 were my first IEM and they are still going strong, albeit rarely used now. If you can find the white SLC4's for $80 then there is no way I would say save the $20 and get the 3's.

That being said, there are probably some better options in that price range right now and some much better options for 2-3x (Shure SE310, Audeo, Monster and others). I assume Shure is dumping the 3's and 4's in anticipation of an upcoming product line refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back