Shure replacing RMA E3s with SCL3: Upgrade, Downgrade, neither?
Oct 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bunninator

Head-Fier
I spoke with a Shure rep today regarding my E3g series earphone that I'm sending in for replacement. He told me that all E3 are being replaced with SCL3 series monitors.

Is there any difference between the E3 and the SCL3? What about the E3g? I owned both E3 and E3g and I like the E3g smaller plug and the barbed nozzle. Aesthetically as far as I can tell the SCL3 looks exactly like the original E3 series.

Would this be considered an upgrade, a downgrade? How much do SCL3 cost?

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 13
the SCL3 is just the professional version of the E3C, there's no difference besides color.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE310... how is that in relation to the E3 and E4?

The SE310 is supposed to the revised E4C, and the E3C and E4C have the same driver, but a different housing to make it sound different. Maybe that's why people say there's no real signifigant difference in them and the SE210.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE310 is supposed to the revised E4C, and the E3C and E4C have the same driver, but a different housing to make it sound different. Maybe that's why people say there's no real signifigant difference in them and the SE210.

What the hell?!
mad.gif

I own a pair of E4c and had the chance to testdrive the SE210 for three weeks for a review and I also listened to the E3c for half an hour, too. I have to say that these are day and night! E3c and SE210 are very dull and show nearly no highs, E4c has rolled off highs but goes up till estimated (18kHz). I don't think it's just a different housing that provides a that clear difference. Of course the SE310 and E4c use a special technology with a hole in a part of the driver (tuned port tech.), but even that would be a modification of the driver and not of the housing.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

E3c and E4c do not have the same drivers. They are different sizes and have completely different tuning.

It's true, SE310 has a very similar driver to E4c, and SE210 has a very similar driver to E3c. But E3c and E4c are completely different, and likewise the SE210 and SE310 are also completely different.

I can understand how it can be comfusing. Sorry for that.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an upgrade only since the SCL3 comes with olives. Other than that, they are the same.

I just got my E3 replaced by SCL3 a couple days ago.

You are correct. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its the same headphone, SCL probobly stands for Shure Classic line.

Wow, were we that obvious with our model designators?
wink.gif

Glad some people are getting that.

Same exact products/assemblies, just different name, packaging and accessories (mainly black foam).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back