Shure Refused Warranty On My E500s
Jul 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #46 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But it is clearly stated in their web site that warranty would not be honored if you are not getting it from authorized dealer.

given this statement of direction of shure, I now promise never to buy shure or recommend them.

this policy stinks. I start my shure boycott now (not that I planned to buy their stuff anyway, but when they play money games on stuff they BUILD, then its game over for me, with them.)

lots of other vendors out there. shure just lost all my future business due to playing nickel/dime games with customers who bought their goods.

its one thing to deny transfer of warranty but to deny based on CHANNELS - pffft - game over shure. you lose. I refuse to support your greedy company.

thanks for the heads up. I always want to know who the truly good caring companies are and who the dirtbags are. I now know where shure stands.

I hope they think its worth it. I also hope they lose a lot of customers, too.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #47 of 151
Update: Shure HK offered to repair my E500s for a fee, which I have not accepted. So far it has been nearly one week and still no answer from Shure USA. In my case I really don't see the "excellent customer service" that some have raved about Shure. Even Shure themselves said they would respond within 1 working day. Very disappointing.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #48 of 151
@leveller1642: Thanks. Was the eBay seller you bought from an authorized Ety dealer? If Ety is willing to stand by their own products even if bought from an unauthorized dealer, that makes them a worthy company to deal with in my book.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #49 of 151
boycotting shure for a rather common practice, is a bit much in my opinion. You should also boycott sennheiser (yes frankenstein phone should still get boycotted -at least the parts), akg, ultimate ears, monster (yeah I know prolly doesnt matter), marantz, nad, bellari, and grado. I'm sure there are probably dozens of other brands I left out who refuse to honor warranties when their items are not purchased from authorized dealers.

At the end of the day, theres probably a disclaimer on all warranties that state "terms and obligations may be subject to change... "and it i up to the user to keep up to date to these changes. So at the end of the day, if shure changed their policy (so long as its a brand wide change , not se or e series specific) then I'm afraid you may be out of luck.

Quite frankly though, this isn't nikel and diming them. Hell I wonder how many emails/attempted repair shure gets everytime someone in the forums gets their iems repaired (even though they bought them from ebay?) While it may be nice for shure to do on a case by case basis. You have to realize 1 post can result into 20 phone calls, 100 emails. potentially a handful of replacements. All actions require money.

Then there are the dozen who ship to shure (because they don't use an RMA based return policy its just return and fix). Thats time to sort, time to call, shipping etc... All of it costs money. I think a lot of previous users have gotten lucky with ebay sales, are you really going to fault a company for no longer being "nice" because they can't afford to anymore?

Remember every repair may not seem like much per user involved but you gotta multiply it by the sheer number of products/people out there. I was working the other day and suggested to add another piece of paper in a tv quick start guide. The first thing my boss said was, oh yeah thats just $0.05 right? I said shure. Then he asked me to find the money for it. I said its 5 cents, it shouldnt be much. Then I checked the numbers for the product... 5 million world wide. You do the math.

While shure's numbers may not be that big, they are also working with larger amounts than 5 cents when repairing and replacing headphones. So even with 10000 yearly customers with what would normally take $25-50 for repairs (assuming part/labor etcc..) then you're looking at 250k- 500k a year.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #50 of 151
Why would Shure not honor the warranty regardless of who sold the phones? Perhaps it's because there's a huge difference in price between buying the items from an authorized dealer and buying them off of Ebay. I'm not sure how it makes any difference to Shure, since Shure had to have sold them to somebody in the first place. Then again, I've heard Shure products hit by counterfeiters, so maybe Shure doesn't want to fix somebody else's crap. Then again, how hard would it be to set up a reliable registration process? Questions, questions.

For what it's worth, I'm still going to buy from Ebay before paying full freight. If you buy the SE530 off of Shure's website, the price is $499. On any given day, I can get the same item - brand new in the box - for half that. And if the cable cracks, that's just an excuse to replace the cables with $3 worth of jacks so I can replace the cable whenever I like. For $250 in savings, I'm sure I could find a sunny way out of this.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #51 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
given this statement of direction of shure, I now promise never to buy shure or recommend them.

this policy stinks. I start my shure boycott now (not that I planned to buy their stuff anyway, but when they play money games on stuff they BUILD, then its game over for me, with them.)

lots of other vendors out there. shure just lost all my future business due to playing nickel/dime games with customers who bought their goods.

its one thing to deny transfer of warranty but to deny based on CHANNELS - pffft - game over shure. you lose. I refuse to support your greedy company.

thanks for the heads up. I always want to know who the truly good caring companies are and who the dirtbags are. I now know where shure stands.

I hope they think its worth it. I also hope they lose a lot of customers, too.

i think that's perfectly normal, and an acceptable listing. i don't see why the hate for them.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #52 of 151
You need to deal with somebody other than the lady who reads the company mail, especially in Hong Kong. You can't get a lower pecking order without involving birdseed.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #54 of 151
Well to answer bill's question regarding why shure wouldn't just fix a product they made, there are differences between authorized an unauthorized sellers.

When a company sells to an authorized seller, they get the following:
1. More Money
2. Guaranteed sales (look at the number of units bestbuy has to buy for example)

When a company sells to an unauthorized/seller they
Sell in smaller quantities

**Note they may or may not make more money from selling to unofficial sellers**

Don't forget that business is driven by bulk sales, don't keep thinking of a dozen products. Think hundreds if not thousands. Being an authorized dealer is a two way street. As an authorized dealer, you get Shure's warranty on the products, low cost, but are limited to selling at msrp (with possibly some coupon/refund based deductions). In this sense, Shure controls the pricing on their product.

As an unauthorized dealer, you pay more from buying from shure but you do not have to buy MASSIVE amounts of a product (if you look at most ebayers reselling shure products they deal in quantities of tens and at most **rarely** 100+), and you do not have to abide by MSRP rules - meaning you make a quicker sale.

You don't get anything for free, and somewhere down the line, something's gonna give. A product's warranty makes sense because if you look at it from Shure's perspective:
If I bought from an unauthorized dealer, and still had all the same rights as someone who bought from an authorized dealer, then I just got an unofficial 100+ discount and hurt the business of an authorized dealer. And if shure does guarantee me the same rights, then they would in effect be spitting at their normal authorized dealers because it costs the authorized dealers business while still requiring them to buy massive quantities.

a Ban on shure ***For this reason alone*** is still stupid unless you make the statement that you are also going to ban buying from westone, sennheiser etc.. as I mentioned earlier. But eitherway Linuxwork's gear seems to be diy so it don't matter much for him. Maybe that's why it only makes sense to him.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #55 of 151
I'd still buy from the unauthorized guy, pocket the $250 and use it towards my next purchase. We're talking about a cable!

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #56 of 151
well actually I agree with you. I'd take the risk and save the money for something else. The point I'm trying to make is quite frankly - you should know what you're in for when you make that decision. I'm not gonna pocket the cash and say.. but but.. but. but... you said warranty...

I think its either implied or is now part of shure's overall warranty policy. I know it's branded on the se530's I bought, and since the e series is the older version of the SE series. I would assume same warranties for both. Basically your rights to a product are contingent on the most recent document set fourth by the company. Tough luck if you didn't read up on Shure's updates. I think a company should notify people of their updated policies -and in fact THEY DO -if you registered because you bought it from an authorized seller. ... So its this weird thing where
If you buy authorized, you get updates/warnings etc...
If you buy unauthorized you get nothing. So you don't find out that there was an added little clause to the warranty statement you agreed to years ago. And don't forget there is a clause in all warranties that allow manufacturers to update their warranty clause and contract as they see fit (usually if its an unfair/stupid one people end up suing companies and there are several class action lawsuits).

OP if you really feel that you have been mistreated by shure, then I would go down that route. Or see if you can find the head-fi rep for Shure and see if he can help out. I've dealt with shure's customer warranty in the past. I'm not sure if its because I'm in america or not, but I sent an email at 11PM, got a respond at 9 in the morning. Sent my headphones in on a Friday. Got my replacement set on a Tuesday. And you know what there are a hundred stories like that on these forums.

I can't make excuses for a company I don't work for, I can only provide you with whatever info I have based on my experience and based on the warranties I've read from westone, etymotic, shure etc.. and from my perspective, it is RARE that companies will go through with their warranties if they were not purchased from a legitimate dealer. The only headphone company with a warranty that EXPLICITLY states they don't care where it comes from is etymotic. Just look it up on their warranty, no authorized dealer or nothing. They have a manufacturing stamp on their product and they will honor it till 2 years later.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #58 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by mister__big /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@leveller1642: Thanks. Was the eBay seller you bought from an authorized Ety dealer? If Ety is willing to stand by their own products even if bought from an unauthorized dealer, that makes them a worthy company to deal with in my book.

I have bought from two sellers. I doubt if either was an authorised dealer.
One was:

eBay Store - wind130: iPod ACCESSORIES, iPHONE ACCESSORIES, iPHONE 3G 3GS CASES

Keep on pushing Shure to honour their obligations. Do you have a Fair trading/Consumer affairs Government dept where you live? Maybe they could help with your statutory rights.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #59 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by mister__big /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, as a long-time Shure user (having bought the E3c, E4g and the E500s), I'm very disappointed that Shure has refused to repair my E500 (still in-warranty) which has a split wire at one of the earphones (a well-known problem to Head-Fiers). The reason Shure refused repair? Because I had bought it on eBay and not from "an authorized Shure distributor" even though Shure's website claims ALL products manufactured by Shure are covered by their warranty. Here's the correspondence between myself and Shure:

[snip]

On Jul 27, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Ho, Elaine wrote:

Dear Henry,

Thank you for your information.

According to Shure policy, the 2-year-limited warranty only grants to earphones which were purchased from authorized distributors or resellers. Please be advised that to read and understand the terms and conditions in your warranty card that came with the package. We have checked your attached invoice from e-bay and we confirmed that Seller's ID: bobsound1 is not our Shure authorized reseller in USA. Therefore we are not able to offer any in-warranty service for your purchased earphone.

Feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

With Regards,
Elaine Ho
Shure Asia Limited

That is B.S.

I bought E500 from bobsound1 summer 2007 and they replaced mine under warrantee around winter 2007 after a sound nozzle snapped off, and I sent them the whole E500 box and the receipt from paypal for the purchase from bobsound1 and they didn't argue with me one bit. Tell them if they replaced them for Larry Ganz in October 2007 they should also cover yours.

A Major Tragedy - R.I.P. E500 - I am starting to freak out! - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #60 of 151
@HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the info and glad to hear that you managed to get yours fixed. Unfortunately since I live in Asia, I cannot send my E500s to Shure USA and I have to send them to Shure Asia. The problem is that Shure Asia is sticking by their "policy" and refusing to honor the warranty at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back