Shure or Etymotics ??
Mar 30, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #31 of 52
i am gonna hold off on saying any more about the etys, it is not fair of me to talk at all about them. i don't even want to restate "general consensus" views of headfi. if i hear them i will comment on them.

if you want to know what i think of the shure e5c's however, this is a different story...

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #32 of 52
I have a different experience out of my PPA w/the E5's and Ety's. The ety's out of the ppa certainly had good low bass, but lacked midbass and upper bass, leading to an overall thin sound and a slighlty emaciated midrange. They were also sibilant and no amount of modding to the tips ever fixed that for me.

The E5's on the other hand have good low bass and good mid/upper bass, perhaps a touch warm in the low mids/upper bass area, leading to a euphonic sound. Combine that with the ultra smooth overall sound and slightly recessed highs, and you have a beautiful/euphonic type of sound.

For me, I'll take great bass and beautiful sound over thin and analytical any day of the week. Others have a different perception/opinion, and that's perfectly OK w/me
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 52
"euphonic" is the word of the day. - adj. pleasing in sound.

brought to you by the e5c's.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #35 of 52
Well, I have to chime in here as I sit listening to my new E5's on the third day of ownership. Do yourself and your wallet a favor, hunker down, and buy the E5's. I have the E2, E3, and E5 and there really isn't any comparison as far as I am concerned. The E3 were pretty good, but the E5 reall does blow it away in my opinion. I also had the Ety ER-4P for about 2 weeks. They sounded nice, but nothing as smooth and immersive as the E5. I ultimately returned the Ety's because my inner ear just couldn't cope with them long term. I do heartily recommend the E5 though. They are the first phones that really made my jaw drop the first time I heard them.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #37 of 52
Check out IdealSound (scroll downto the bottom of the page), they have great deals and great service.

Scott

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #38 of 52
Mar 30, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 52
Very simple,

If you want bass and lots of it, then get the E5C.

If you want bass that is defined and that you can mostly listen instead of feeling it, then get the ER4P.

If you want detail and audiophile quality audio, then ultimately get the ER4P. The E5C sounds good, but it is not audiophile. It lacks detail in comparison to the ER4.

I'd start with the cheaper of the two...the ER4 and see if it does the trick, if not...then move to the more expensive one the E5C.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #40 of 52
i consider myself an audiophile in every sense of the word.

i think the e5c's are very much an audiophile product, based on sound, build quality, price, they just happen to be very cool-looking.

i have never owned the etys, but when it comes to looks, i don't think anyone would debate the etys are too much to look at.

of course, looks are nothing to judge a headphone by, but considering the e5 is an audiophile product in every respect, the fact that it looks sweet doesn't hurt.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #41 of 52
audiphile sound is not about looks; otherwise, the K1000 would not be audiophile...ugly thang.

KSC-35 is another ugly thang, but cheap cheap cheap cheap and built like crap, that sounds real good and likely better than the E5C.

Quality has nothing to do with sound
wink.gif
Otherwise, Rane gear would sound good...they are just made good, but sounds terrible.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT
KSC-35 is another ugly thang, but cheap cheap cheap cheap and built like crap, that sounds real good and likely better than the E5C.

Wow. I know you like your Etys man but really, now you're just going over the edge.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Wow. I know you like your Etys man but really, now you're just going over the edge.

The toilet was already spilling over with crap even before I came here.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #44 of 52
DJGeorge, you really should just stop commenting on headphones that you haven't tried out yourself, even if you do feel the urge to comment on things you don't really know... at least stay with reasonable premises.

There's plenty of people who like the ER-4's, and plenty of those who would prefer E5c... denying the fact the E5c is audiophile quality is the same as those who deny that the CD3000 is audiophile quality (those people who just love their Sennheisers, especially).

Stay on track, stay off crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back