Shure or Ety?
Sep 22, 2004 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dbecks

New Head-Fier
Looking for a setup for my ipod and something to keep airplane and campus noise out. Headphone.com is all about the ety's as it seems. What does everyone think? Amped or unamped?

Sep 22, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 13
What's your budget?

The main contenders in the cheaper-mid price area are Ety 6i's and Shure E2s. From what i've read the Etys have much better detail but a bit less bass, and the Shures have better bass but quite rolled off highs, which makes them sound to some people like they lack detail.

Other options are Sony EX51/71s, or Sharp MD33s from audiocubes.com. People around here have started talking about audio-technica earbuds in the last week or so too, have a search for that if you're interested.

Sep 22, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 13
If you do a search you'll find a bunch of threads on this point. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, although each has their own strength and weaknesses. You didn't say which models you were considering, so I'll assume you are looking at the Ety 6i and Shure E3C (I own the Shures).

The consensus, to the extent there is one, appears to be that the Shures have better bass but at the high end the Shures roll off faster than the Etys. The Shures are better build quality and more comfortable for most people.

Don't bother listening to individual recommendations or trashing of each product. With headphones in general, and canal phones in particular, everyone's subjective experience is going to be very different and some people have their own agendas. The best solution would be to order from places with a liberal return policy and try each one out for a few days, keeping in mind that it takes PRACTICE to insert them properly, and that at the beginning you will not have them inserted properly even though you think you do
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbecks
Looking for a setup for my ipod and something to keep airplane and campus noise out. Headphone.com is all about the ety's as it seems. What does everyone think? Amped or unamped?

I haven't tried the Ety's, but I have the Shure e3's. They block out external noise very well. They are a little thin on the bass, but with a bit of boost on the old equalizer, they sound fine. You don't need an amp with these phones, as they are very efficient. The headphone cord is a bit thick, so they bug me a little on the back of my neck.

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 13
I have both the Ety Er4P, and Shure E3c. I suggest you buy both!

My reasoning is this: If you like to sit quietly and listen to high quality hi-fidelity audio, you will be amazed by how good the Er4p/s sounds. I like to play old favorite albums that I've played a hundred times, and see how many things I hear that I've never heard before. On a pure sound basis, I think the Er4p/s rule over the E3s.

On the other hand, if you like to do anything active, like jog, walk, work out, bike, etc., I think the E3s are superior simply because the cable management is much better designed. With the Er4p/s, you can hear the vibration of the cable in your ear everytime it brushes up against your shirt. Also, the cables are more apt to get in your way. The E3s suffer none of these problems because the cable is designed to go behind your ear, and it is then secured neatly behind your head at the hairline before running down your back.

So I'd get one or the other, depending on how you use them, and then save up for the other pair to buy a little later. :wink:

Incidently, I bought the Er4P for my Nomad Jukebox 3. Then I bought the P to S cable. But I've been listening with the P to S cable straight from the headphone jack. It's plenty loud. I'm listening to it right now, and the volume is only on 21 of 25. And that's WITH the P to S attenuator cable.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
What's your budget?

The main contenders in the cheaper-mid price area are Ety 6i's and Shure E2s. From what i've read the Etys have much better detail but a bit less bass, and the Shures have better bass but quite rolled off highs, which makes them sound to some people like they lack detail.

Other options are Sony EX51/71s, or Sharp MD33s from audiocubes.com. People around here have started talking about audio-technica earbuds in the last week or so too, have a search for that if you're interested.

Commando, that is the gentlest and kindest that you have been towards the Shure E2c ever! I am genuinely touched and moved...
biggrin.gif

I would say the Etys are more comfortable, but that is because I prefer the deeper penetration to just having the tip of my canal wedged open by Shures... (hmmm, let's keep this G rated shall we?) In general, the Shures are better at deep bass, the Etys for treble and clarity. I think both phones are very well made, though the Shures LOOK sturdier.

Pick one or the other based on your listening and comfort preferences. Or get both. For $200, they give you a versatile listening package.

des

Sep 23, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke

My reasoning is this: If you like to sit quietly and listen to high quality hi-fidelity audio, you will be amazed by how good the Er4p/s sounds. I like to play old favorite albums that I've played a hundred times, and see how many things I hear that I've never heard before. On a pure sound basis, I think the Er4p/s rule over the E3s.

On the other hand, if you like to do anything active, like jog, walk, work out, bike, etc., I think the E3s are superior simply because the cable management is much better designed. With the Er4p/s, you can hear the vibration of the cable in your ear everytime it brushes up against your shirt. Also, the cables are more apt to get in your way. The E3s suffer none of these problems because the cable is designed to go behind your ear, and it is then secured neatly behind your head at the hairline before running down your back.

So I'd get one or the other, depending on how you use them, and then save up for the other pair to buy a little later. :wink:

Incidently, I bought the Er4P for my Nomad Jukebox 3. Then I bought the P to S cable. But I've been listening with the P to S cable straight from the headphone jack. It's plenty loud. I'm listening to it right now, and the volume is only on 21 of 25. And that's WITH the P to S attenuator cable.

VERY useful advice for me. i've been trying to decide between the er-6i's and the e3c's for a few weeks now. the e3c's it is... well, if i go w/canalphones.

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

On a pure sound basis, I think the Er4p/s rule over the E3s.

I should hope so. The ER4s are almost twice the price! I like your suggestion of buying both, but at that spending level one should also be considering the Shure E5s.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pov
I should hope so. The ER4s are almost twice the price! I like your suggestion of buying both, but at that spending level one should also be considering the Shure E5s.

Well, that's the thing. First I bought the E1 used for around $100. I got them solely for noise isolation while I worked. Then after about a year one phone lost half its volume and I got a brand new E3 for only $55 from Shure. But then I read so much about how every body loved the Etys so much, great detail, etc., so then the Etys were on my wish list for maybe six months. But $330 is a lot of money. Recently they came down to around $200 so I bought them.

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Couldn't agree more with Luke. I have tried shure E2c, E3c and have Ety ER-4P. Ety wins hands down in term of sound quality. Shure is much better in term of cable management and comfort. If shure phones have better high ends, they would be perfect canalphones.
etysmile.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I just tried to give a more ballanced view of them. You still couldn't pay me to own Shures
smily_headphones1.gif

how about 3.2 gajillion dollars, each one gold plated? could i bully you into owning shures, if i can't pay you into it? i have several guns....
tongue.gif
one thing you have to say about Commando, he sticks to his convictions
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back