Shure Olives, Comply, Sony Hybrids sound signiture on IEMs
Feb 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bunsco

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is primarily aimed at X10 users, as that's what im using.

I wanted to canvas opinion on the general effect the different buds have on the sound signature of IEMs - in this case the Klipsch X10.

Some here suggest mainly Shure Olives or Comply T100's - I followed the suggestion of using Sony Hybrids as my ears just couldn't get used to the Klipsch buds (weird i know, as comfort is one of the X10s main attributes).

What I've experienced so far with the Sony Hybrids is that it seems to open up the sonic spectrum of the X10s from the mids to the highs, the mid are brought to the fore noticeably more and the highs have a bit more sparkle - which to some would seem like the ideal for the X10s which places heavy emphasis on those gorgeously deep and liquid lows.

But for all that I cant help that it is at the sacrifice of the 'fun' the X10 give as an audio experience - making them sound more neutral - which isn't bad - but the luscious slightly warm bottom end appears to have gone a bit missing, making dance, electronic a little less fun - though classical - which was a no-no as far as the X10 is concerned is given a bit more life with the Sony Hybrids.

My preference (which i guess is a lot to ask ) is to have about 80% of what the Sony's give whilst retaining as much as that X10 bottom end as possible.

Any help give most appreciated.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 6
*IE7 user here.....*

MMM this is of intrest to me, i'm (again) fannying around with the box full of tips that come with the IE7's. I also have the Sony dual flanges, so my impressions are such (WRT the IE7)

The better the seal and the stiffer the tip, the better the bass, but at a sacrifice to treble.

Single flanges= low bass and a more "distant" feeling to the sound
Double flanges = normal bass and good connection to the sound.
Foam.= screwing a subwoofer to your skull, treble (VERY) slightly recessed.

Sony double flanges= great all round balance.

I have the foams on at the moment, i'm digging the bass thump TBH....

EDIT: your above post is spot on IME as well......

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 6
That's very interesting, as the Sony hybrids have exactly the oposte effect on my HJE900. The slightly lighten the highs while bringing out the bass(they do make mids more forward as you mentioned though)

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
In my experience with CK10's, Shure Olives/Comply tips alter the sound signature the most. The absorb a lot of the sparkle from upper mids and highs. Bass seems to be improved along with the better seal they provide.

I agree with you, the Sony tips do not provide the greatest low end extension but they provide a very neutral sound replication which I personally love.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
a lack of Comply info - though there seem to be lots of comply users here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back