Shure olive mod for TF10?
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that this has been come up with and I'm pretty sure detailed aswell but I can't find a thread dedicated to it in my search of this and the full-sized headphones forum so I'm guessing, if its detailed, its been so in the middle of a thread somewhere. Just hoping some kind soul in trhe know could link us to a thread on this mod or a place within a thread where this mod is discussed, please? I imagine it's a simple case of switching the tube in the olive tip to an UE's foam one so that the olive then can fit on TF10 nozzle but I'm completely naieve to even this level of modding and DIY and wouldn't even know the most suitable glue or adhesive to use in the above anticipated circumstance!
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 14
The ue foam tips tube sucks. You are better suited by Comply tips (T400 or T500). If you don't like Comply foam, use their tubes to glue Olive foam on them.
You need to practice some surgery, as removing the Olive inner tube is a pain in the butt the first times. After destroying a few olives, you'll master the skill and will become an Olive surgeon. McGuyver would be more accurate, actually, as you only need a small scissor to perform the advanced task.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 14
was forgetting: when removing the inner tube from the tasty Olive, you will have to start from the base, and then work your way with scissors.

Removing the comply nozzle will be a lot easier.

I suggest to (ab)use your Complys, and only when they are worn you can take away their tubey goodness.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the info and pointers! Looks like I'll have to wait until after I've 'abused' some complys then (got some on their way, as it happens!).
cool.gif
It was pretty much self-discernable, as you say, but I thought I'd check in case there was some tip or knack or technique or little nuance worth knowing before hacking away at foam. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, what glue are you using to attatch the oilve foam to the comply tube?

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Sorry, what glue are you using to attatch the oilve foam to the comply tube?

I used very little superglue between the tube and foam.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of cutting skills. Emo's are advantaged, but everyone can make it.
ksc75smile.gif

LMAO
atsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 14
My 1-2-3 guide to de-core olive:

Requirement:
1. A minute of your time
2. Patience
3. Instinct
4. Fingernail
5. Shure black foamies (Olive)

Instruction:
i. Put olive bottom up on flat surface. Take a deep breath and concentrate.

ii.With fingernail on edge of the plastic tubing, slide it downward to scrap the foams away from the plastic tubing, one small part at a time. Olive are very durable, so show no mercy.

iii. Slowly scrap and remove the tube. Wait for the foamies to expand back to normal shape. Slide it directly to UE iem bore, no Comply tubing required. No glue either.

*no pictures attached due to absent of camera. If required, will try to get hold of a camera.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 14
toughnut;5151453 said:
My 1-2-3 guide to de-core olive:

Requirement:
1. A minute of your time
2. Patience
3. Instinct
4. Fingernail
5. Shure black foamies (Olive)

Instruction:
i. Put olive bottom up on flat surface. Take a deep breath and concentrate.

ii.With fingernail on edge of the plastic tubing, slide it downward to scrap the foams away from the plastic tubing, one small part at a time. Olive are very durable, so show no mercy.

This is (mainly) what I did for using olives on the superfi 5 pro. I also put olive bottom up and using thumbnail sraped the core off the olive, this was then placed over the core from a grey foamie that came with the superfi 5 pro. Then wait a minute or two for the foam to expand back to normalish shape.

At the end the olive looks something like this:

2413581576_5fae6b4066_b.jpg

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the slightly simpler and more basic method! Also, the tongue in cheek delivery of it toughnut was quite amusing
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 14
i miss my HD5, it was one of the best players i ever had,

anyways, the shure olive mod is easier when done with a pair a pair of needle nose pliers, you insert the nose in to the olives from the side that goes in to your ears, expand a bit, roll 90 degrees and expand again, do that 4-6 times untill the plastic core piece is warmed up and softened up, then widen up the core, and insert the Super.fi/Triple.fi nuzzle from the other side as you pull out the pliers, VERY CAREFULY,

and it should go in,

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i miss my HD5, it was one of the best players i ever had,

anyways, the shure olive mod is easier when done with a pair a pair of needle nose pliers, you insert the nose in to the olives from the side that goes in to your ears, expand a bit, roll 90 degrees and expand again, do that 4-6 times untill the plastic core piece is warmed up and softened up, then widen up the core, and insert the Super.fi/Triple.fi nuzzle from the other side as you pull out the pliers, VERY CAREFULY,

and it should go in,

Another interesting option Aveum, thanks for sharing! As much as this echoes how it's quite a self-applyable job, at least this thread is serving the purpose of collecting various ways and methods ppl have come up with for doing this mod. Not exactly what I had in mind as the purpose for the thread when I started it but it will be a useful resource for ppl looking for tips and/or methods on this mod in the future.
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of cutting skills. Emo's are advantaged, but everyone can make it.
ksc75smile.gif

lol, that makes me laugh evertime i see it.

anyway just for the first time ever decided to mod an olive for my IE7's and OMG they need to build space shuttles out of the same stuff as them. those little feckers are indestructible

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi erm this is an unrelated question but has anyone else had this thin invisible layer of oil build up on the nozzle of the TF10, and subsequently the eartip itself? It's been bugging me forna long time and everytime i clean the nozzle itself, the oil on the eartip gets transferred to the nozzle again... Anynideas? D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back