Shure...Made in Mexico??...Or China??
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Unfortunately another Shure quality issue but a good ending.

I have had my E4's for about 5 weeks and while I don't think the average person would even notice, I was sensing that the lower frequencies were slightly unbalanced. Overall seemed fine, just the low frequencies, I'd say about 60/40 split. I orginally thought it was my ears, the seal, the recording but over time I became convinced that something was slightly out of whack. I called a Shure technician to explain and even asked if I could bring them over and if he could test them to prove I wasn't nuts. He says no problem...whatever I want to do to make it better. Shure headquarters is only 8 miles from where I work and I was shocked how HUGE the place is. Gorgeous 8-10 story glass administrative building with what had to be another 500,000 sq ft. factory wing. With the parking lot it had to be a 1/2 city block area.

Anyway, I was expecting a much smaller place and to be able to go test my old pair with the technician while I waited but the place was just too big. No questions asked....the service person just gave me a new pair. What was odd was that I don't think she even wrote up what the problem/complaint was anywhere so I wonder what happens to these returns? Perhaps they go to a testing lab anyway and are sold for pennies to the employees?? I'm sure they want to Pareto chart their failures/complaints. Who knows.

I did notice on the new package of E4's that they gave me it said "made in Mexico" but my original ones (from Earphone Solutions) said "Made in China." I was surprised that a product with such seemingly low demand, low volume would be made in two different countries. Whether Mexico or China I'm sure Shure audits these factories and enforces that they comply with their standards but it still kind of makes you wonder? Anyway, the new pair is awesome! I can tell a difference immediately.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 9
either way, I wouldnt say the quality is top notch in either country. my E5c are Made in Mexico, and the moldings are a bit rough.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Well IEM's are getting quite popular, i wouldn't be surprised at all if they're moving operations to China. Tons cheaper.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 9
The one I got from EarphoneSolutions was made in Mexico as well.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 9
The quality of products coming out of Mexico, or China or Japan is about the same these days. It's the BS of the labor unions of the USA that makes the American products so high priced with mediocre quality these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back