Shure IEMS and Headphones - Which Amp to get
Mar 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bam2403

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone!

I have a pair of Shure SE535s and Shure SRH-840s.

I mainly listen to them through an iPhone 3GS and was thinking about getting an amp. Then only thing is that I bought these headphones quite a while ago when I was in a much different financial situation and do not have hundreds of dollars to spend. 

I was wondering if you guys would think a FiiO E6 amp would make any noticeable difference in audio quality. If not could you suggest something in a simliar price range ($25 to $50) that would help the audio quality?

Thank You!

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
I use an RSA Tomahawk with my Shure SE535ltd (red color ones). The Tomahawk does improve things, eg. soundstage, tighter bass, increased highs, not as harsh compared to the iPhone 4. But the improvements are not huge for the dollars spent.

I think best to try out some amps if that is possible to see if it suits your requirements.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Not sure there's too much that will beat the E6 in that price range (not familiar at all, there's just not much period).  That said I think it would also be worth getting a lineout dock in that case, bypassing the internal amp of the iPod in that case - Fiio L1/L3 are cheap

Edit: Maybe check the FS forums for something?
Double edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595809/ibasso-t1-used-condition. Comes w/ line out, don't know anything about SQ but an idea

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Never tried an E6. I've only tried two amps with my 535, the RSA Tomahawk and Graham Slee Voyager. Both had a favorable impact to the SQ of the 535.

I 2nd the line out. That makes a difference also for iPods abs iPhones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back