Shure Headphone Shootout: Shure SRH 240 vs SRH 440 vs SRH 750 DJ vs SRH 840 vs SRH 940
May 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LazBro123

500+ Head-Fier
[size=13pt]Hey peeps! I am doing my first comparison on head-fi! I tried all these headphones out extensively.  All ratings will be rated considering the headphone's  price. (It would not be fair if I compare a 50 dollar headphone to a 200 dollar headphone! lol)[/size]

[size=13pt]Shure SRH 240 ($50-$60)[/size]

[size=13pt]Comfort: These headphones are not that comfortable because of almost no padding at the top of the headphones, but the ear pads are pretty comfortable. They don't press too much on the ears, but they still put quite a bit pressure. 6/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Soundstage: Terrible. Really. No depth or width, but there is a bit of height. 3/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Highs: Pretty good. They sound muffled, but for 50 dollars, the highs are pretty decent actually. They are pretty well-defined, but not sharp at all. They are not bright, which is something I do not like (personal taste). They don't sound muddy, but they sound a bit recessed. 7/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Mids: This is really where the headphones shine. For 50 dollars, the mids will blow you away.... It blew me away too. The warmth, and the texture of all the mid sounds is very good.  The mids are on par with the Koss Tony Bennett, but guess how much those headphones are..... 150 dollars! The mids do not sound muffled at all, nor harsh. Good job Shure! 8.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Lows: The lows is a completely different story. The lows are deep, extend well, but there is not a lot of it. This is exactly the case with the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. 6/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Tone: These headphones are extremely laid back. No aggressive tones like the ATH-M50. [/size]

[size=13pt]Shure SRH 440 ($80-$100)[/size]

[size=13pt]Comfort: A little more padding on the headband, but still, not very comfortable. Ear pads are more comfortable than the 240, and put more pressure. Overall, more comfortable. 7.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Soundstage: Better. A slight more depth, much more width and height than the 240, but still, soundstage is not the best for this price range. 6/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Highs: Really nice highs. They are sharp, but not bright. The detail retrieval is better on these things than the 240. No muddiness to the highs. Much improved over the 240 highs. Very well-defined. 8/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Mids: Mids sound just like the 240, but with a bit more brightness and sound thicker and more dynamic. Guitars, pianos and voices sound really realistic, and not as thin sounding as the 240. Mids are better than the Tony Bennett by far. The mids sound a little bit too sweet, but still, almost no coloration. 8/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Lows: The bass is actually pretty strong on these headphones, and extends very well, and is deep. 8/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Tone: More aggressive than the 240, but still not more aggressive than the M50, which is the most aggressive headphone I have ever listened to.[/size]

[size=13pt]Shure SRH 840 ($150-$200)[/size]

[size=13pt]Comfort: Amazing comfort. Feels nice and snug on the head, but not too tight or too much pressure. 8.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Soundstage: Very good. Sounds awesome and pretty three dimensional, though there could be a bit more depth for this price range. 9/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Highs: Awesome highs, which are extremely crisp and have significantly better detail retrieval than the 440. They are not sharp like the 440, and much more well-defined.[/size]

[size=13pt]Mids: Completely different mids than the 240 and 440. It's not warm... It is actually very cold and metallic sounding, and they are not bright either. The detail in the mids is much, much better than the 240 and better than the 440. 8.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Lows: Very neutral (flat) lows. I like strong bass a lot, but I find the 840 does not have a lot of bass. It is there, especially in the sub basses, but it is lacking a bit of mid bass. Very clear bass and great for studio, but not a fun general listening headphone. 7/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Tone: Very laid back, almost like the Sennheiser HD 380 PRO.[/size]

[size=13pt]Shure SRH 750 DJ ($100 - $150)[/size]

[size=13pt]Comfort: I find these headphones to be very comfortable. Very similar fit to the SRH 840, but with more circular ear pads, like the Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2, which I find to be a little less comfortable than oval shaped ear pads, like the SRH 840. 9/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Soundstage: Not a lot of depth, but has a good amount of height and width. Similar to the 440, but with even more width (probably because of the more circular ear cups). 7.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Highs: These headphones sound very different in the highs than the other Shures. They have highs which are similar to the ATH M50, which are really good in the highs. The 750 DJs have smooth highs, which are also just like the SRH 940, but with less detail. For 100-150 dollars, the highs are very good. 8.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Mids: The mids in these are absolutely fantastic. Very lively and energetic, and have this bright signature, without sounding harsh or over-emphasized. They sound a little metallic, just like the Ultrasone HFI 780, but not as much. Overall, I like the mids a lot. 9/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Bass: Wow. Just wow. Bass is absolutely stunning on these things. It's deep, extends really well and there is a lot of it, but not too much to overpower every single frequency. It's something you must hear. It has amazing bass, while retaining crisp and clear sound. Awesome! 9.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Shure SRH 940 ($250-$300)[/size]

[size=13pt]Comfort: These things fit my head like a glove. Seriously, it is like it is made for my head. They are so comfortable, and more comfortable than the SRH840. One of my favorite parts of these headphones. 10/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Soundstage: Excellent. Sounds very much like an open headphone. Width, height and depth are all there, and a beautiful improvement over the SRH 840. Nice! 10/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Highs: The highs are extremely bright. It's actually abnormally bright. I like bright, but not this bright haha. They are super clear, and super crisp. The clarity is just insane, and the funny thing is that they are not harsh. It seems like the highs are a little too exaggerated IMHO. 9.5/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Mids: The mids, just like the SRH 750 DJ, are smooth, lively and energetic, but are by far clearer. Every little nuance in the song is heard. The mids are coloured, but not so much. Also a great part of the headphones. 9/10[/size]

[size=13pt]Lows: This where the headphones fall short. The lows are weak. Not so weak you cannot hear them, but actually it is getting there. To get decent bass, you need to EQ the hell out of the bass. It is very underwhelming, especially for hip hop and rap listeners. The lows are clear throughout the range and extend okay, but they are not very deep. These headphones are a gamble. If you are treble head, these are for you. If you are a bass head, stay far away from the 940s, and get the cheaper 750s if you want Shure. 5/10[/size]

If I had the choice to choose one, I would take the SRH 750 DJ. I did not test the SRH 550 DJ, but when I have the chance, I will add it to the comparison.

There are more comparisons to come.....[size=13pt]Thanks for looking! [/size]
biggrin.gif
[size=13pt] [/size]

May 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
I agree for the most part on the Shure SRH840 headphone. The only exception I have is that it is lacking a little in the highs. But still a very enjoyable headphone.

I think it is enjoyable because of its laid back sound, but I would not call it fun. When I listened to the 840s, I found they had a perfect amount of highs. Not too much or not too little. Still, everyone hears differently lol
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey thanks for the compares, they're great!. I just had one question: I want a pair of headphones that are really good for listening to dubstep but not completely bass oriented. I still want good overall sound quality. Which one of these would you recommend? If not any of these, then which others?

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Hey thanks for the compares, they're great!. I just had one question: I want a pair of headphones that are really good for listening to dubstep but not completely bass oriented. I still want good overall sound quality. Which one of these would you recommend? If not any of these, then which others?

SRH750 DJ if you Shure. Ultrasone HFI 780 is another option too. I have the Sennheiser HD 380 PRO and ATH M50, which are both excellent for dubstep.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 16
I  found the srh940 also insanely bright at begin, but just play with ear cup position on your head, and you'll be surprised by the changes.

Also I've modded them by increasing the depth of ear cup (I've inserted ropes in cups, with thickness of 1 cm , takes 5 min), and then I  found them much more "natural" and less fatiguing.
More details in my review, in the "head gear" section. I'm wondering how the modded srh940 would compare with the srh840.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
What's your source? Did u use all headphones with an amp? Interesting that u find the srh440 bass heavy, a lot of people say they have almost no bass....

I did use an amp. All of them were used with an amp. Sorry for not mentioning that. I will do a comparison unamped too, upon request :) I do not find the 440 bass heavy, I just find it has a good bass response.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I  found the srh940 also insanely bright at begin, but just play with ear cup position on your head, and you'll be surprised by the changes.

Also I've modded them by increasing the depth of ear cup (I've inserted ropes in cups, with thickness of 1 cm , takes 5 min), and then I  found them much more "natural" and less fatiguing.
More details in my review, in the "head gear" section. I'm wondering how the modded srh940 would compare with the srh840.

SRH940: Best position I have found for wide airy soundstage is to push them as far down and as far foward as they will go without being to uncomfortable. Also twist the cups so that the cup near the front of your face is apart and the cup touching the back of your head inwards, Sort of like this \O/ . This creates a vary airy soundstage imaging, try it.

Also custom cable change makes a huge difference... http://www.head-fi.org/t/533716/shure-srh-940/3405

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Nice review. Can I ask what amp/dac/player setup you used for the comparison? thanks

Hi,

I actually compared them at a store. I extensively compared each model for the same amount of time. The amp (I think) is an Audiolab 8200T. The only ones I tried unamped are the SRH840 and SRH940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back