Shure Headphone Cabling Ripping
Dec 7, 2007 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

clickclickw00t

Head-Fier
I'm gonna make this as less confusing as possible:

This happened to my shure E2cs and my es530s. ***For the sake of argument, read "cable" as the rubber and not the actual wiring.**

So, on a day to day basis, I wear my headphones at least 2 to 4 hours. Over a period of time, the cabling has started breaking. Why? I don't know. It seems as though the cabling just snaps so it exposes the wire within. I didn't really mind with the first pair of E2Cs. They were $80 so it wasn't that bad. Then I bought a second pair. Happened to them too. I thought, maybe its the E2s. So I bought a $500 pair of ES530s from B&H in NYC.

Now, 5 months after buying them, the right headphone is completely ripped where the cable connects to the headphones (i have a piece of tape there to hold it) and the left one's rubber has snapped well revealing the interior cabling.

I really love these headphones but this is really pissing me off. I've dished out so much money on Shure products, and this happens every time.

What are my options?
1. stay and ignore?
2. buy new ones?
3. send in for warranty (will they consider that wear and tear and say no?)
4. get someone to recable them? (suggest me someone)

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 8
This is a very common problem with the 530's, i've seen lots of posts regarding the cable cracking etc. I would suggest sending them in for a replacement pair as the cables are faulty. Best wait for someone who has had the same problem to reply first though.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Best to go with option 3. They will not consider this wear and tear, they will replace your set as long as they are still under warranty, which, if they are the se530 model, they are. By the way I would consider editing that post for language, I'm sure youll be getting a mod PM over it.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by clickclickw00t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna make this as less confusing as possible:

Actually u didn't have to explain any further. Shure cables probs are well-known. There is at least on HUGE thread here. Warranty or not, just call, tell them you have the infamous cable prob, what to do to have it repaired? If they start to ask for $, refer them to head-fi.org. 'coz the Shure Rep here acknowledged the prob.

I was heavily comtemplating the SE530 when I saw the bulky cable, this was b4r I read the ripping problem, and that's a major minus to me. I want my phones cables to be "insivible." If I own this phone, I would investigate replacing it with some non-Shure, super-supple cabling. But that's just me.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually u didn't have to explain any further. Shure cables probs are well-known. There is at least on HUGE thread here. Warranty or not, just call, tell them you have the infamous cable prob, what to do to have it repaired? If they start to ask for $, refer them to head-fi.org. 'coz the Shure Rep here acknowledged the prob.

I was heavily comtemplating the SE530 when I saw the bulky cable, this was b4r I read the ripping problem, and that's a major minus to me. I want my phones cables to be "insivible." If I own this phone, I would investigate replacing it with some non-Shure, super-supple cabling. But that's just me.

what do you mean by "invisible"?

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Send them back for warranty. Shure will give you a new pair, for sure!

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by clickclickw00t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by "invisible"?

As in "not even there." No bulk, no feeling of tugging whatsoever. In real world, guess I would settle for a thin supple "o" shaped cable, perfect length for my height, no extension. I think I've found such a cable on iPod's stock buds! (and u thought I was going for those expensive...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As in "not even there." No bulk, no feeling of tugging whatsoever. In real world, guess I would settle for a thin supple "o" shaped cable, perfect length for my height, no extension. I think I've found such a cable on iPod's stock buds! (and u thought I was going for those expensive...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

sony had a pair of really great cables a while back
they were like somehow protected from ripping and whatnot, i really liked those.

if i were to recable the headphones, is there a tutorial or something? i really dont wanna screw up a pair of $500 phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back