Shure foam expanding too fast
Apr 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dakkar

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using the shure foam (black olives) on some UE3. I was able to install the left ear perfectly and I get a great seal out of that ear. For the right side, the foam was somewhat tilted and I could never get a good seal. Very easily broken. So I removed that foam (had to rip it off) and put on a new one. My problem is that, the new olive just expand way too fast. Even if I compress it well, by the time I start inserting it in my ear, it's already fully expanded. Also, even though they both are medium size, I can see a clear size difference between the new and old one.

Will this fix itself with a bit of wear and wash?
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by marc4fishing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
put them in the fridge for a few. I wear earplugs all the time at work. I can tell you first hand that they work slower when they are cold..

Sounds comfy
eek.gif

I kinda feel the same way, they usually expand too quickly and I don't feel like I get a proper seal. Not sure I wanna' put 'em in the fridge first, though.

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Were they already like that when you got them, or just started to become like that recently?

If you washed them before, it might have been your method of washing that killed it. Rubbing alcohol is one of the things that will kill it. Another thing is that these olive foams dont seem to like being squeezed when wet. This means squeezing it under water during a wash will also make the foams lose their memory effect, as well as rolling the foams with wet fingers (or if your eardrums are wet after a shower
rolleyes.gif
).

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 16
The old bud is fine. Nice and maleable. It's the new one that is very stiff. I'm hoping a few more washes will soften it.

I'm always washing with water and a bit of dishsoap. Not sure if it's good or bad... :)

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 16
The Shure olive foams were not meant to be rolled and compressed. Just carefully push them into your ears with one hand (while pulling on the top of your ear with the other). That's it. You'll see that works just fine.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure olive foams were not meant to be rolled and compressed. Just carefully push them into your ears with one hand (while pulling on the top of your ear with the other). That's it. You'll see that works just fine.

Hm? This is a quote directly from the manual

Quote:

Soft Foam Sleeves
When using the foam sleeves, compress the sleeve between your fingers before inserting it into the ear canal. Hold the earphone in place for about ten seconds while the foam expands and creates a tight seal.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that certainly is worth a try!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 16
anyone try pulling on their earlobe to make the ear a little larger or longer?? Works for me with both the Comply and the Olives. Antonyfirst suggested this long time ago and it really works without squeezing either Comply or Olive

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 16
There are two different animals being discussed. The foams are foam eartips, and the olives are single flange eartips. The olives aren't going to stay compressed at all and are designed to be just pushed in. The foams are supposed to stay compressed, but I find that they lose that property pretty quickly. I just push mine in, but I've got large ear canals.

The suggestion of putting them in the fridge is good as well.

As for having to rip them off to replace them, that shouldn't be the case. They have a small hard plastic sleeve down the center that may still be on the earphone if you didn't slide it off. I find that removing any foam eartip usually involves pinching it hard enough that it never really recovers, but I just pinch and pull. I put the new ones on by putting them on a table and then pushing the earphone down on top of it. Easier to keep it aligned that way.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 16
The term "olive" on Head-fi DOES refer to the BLACK FOAM sleeves by Shure, not the GREY single flange rubber sleeve.

And as in my quote from the manual, it seems the olives ARE supposed to be rolled/compressed, as with other foam sleees.

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 16
I think I must have 2 differents size canals. My left side has no problem getting a seal whatsoever. My left side does not hold at all. I've tried the pulling the ear and it does seem to work. I'll really test it's seal when I go to the gym... Hope that it will work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back