Shure E5c + Westone "Comply" foam tips = not bad...
Apr 4, 2005 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jakenz

New Head-Fier
Struggling to get a comfortable (and good sounding) fit with the Shure tips that come with the E5c's...?

If so this may be of interest to you. A few weeks back, in near desperation after failing to find a fit that gave me both good comfort & sound with my new e5c's (the tri-flanges alone gave me an acceptable sound, but were and are, a bit uncomfortable), I ordered some Westone comply tips. They've just arrived and I've been trying them out with my E5c's - with which they fit fine by the way:

http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/Sof...html?E+scstore

My observations are:

Comfort:

- For me, the Westone foam comply tips (much softer and twice as long as the Shure foams) are very comfortable, and much more isolating than any of the Shure tips. I can wear 'em at work for hours on end with little discomfort. I can't do this with the Tri-flanges.

Sound:

- not bad at all, much better to/in my ears than any of the Shure tips (with the exception of the Tri-flanges) which I had found to be all very thin sounding. The Comply's manage a quite acceptable full sound with a pleasant midrange, treble and respectable bottom end, which I can live with. That said, switching back and forwards between the comply's and the tri-flanges shows the Tri's to have unequivocally better bass definition, sound staging, and attack.

Conclusion:

- I guess I can live my E5c's (for the mo) but am going with the compromise sound of the comply's at work, and using the tri-flanges for shorter duration listening like train rides etc. Still, it'd be nice to have the uncompromised mix of comfort and sonics that customs like the Sensas/UE's/Westones seem to offer though...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back