Shure E5C vs. Shure E500PTH
Dec 11, 2006 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mastercheif

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I am looking for a new pair of IEMs. I am looking at either the Shure E5C or the Shure E500PTH. I am looking for the most neutral IEM I can get. I tried out the E4Cs, and I found them a little to bass heavy for my taste. Now I am hesitant to jump to the E500s because of the fact that they have two bass drivers, and I heard how bass heavy the E4Cs were with one driver. BTW, my source was a un-amped 80GB iPod playing Apple Lossless files.

What is the best bet here?
etysmile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 14
wow, you found the e4 to be bass-heavy? i thought the bass was adequate, but lacking in some circumstances. i've used shure earphones from e2, e3, e4, and now e500, and i can safely say that you will not be happy with the e5 or e500 if you think the e4 bass is too obtrusive. i myself am in love with my e500s and probably going to sell my e4s on eBay.

if you want less bass from shure, go with the e3 or stick with the e4; otherwise, check out another manufacturer.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 14
E500 has midrange & treble similar to E4 but bass is more controlled compared to the E5c. E500 definitely has bass but doesn't muddle the other spectrums like what E5c does.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 14
if you find the e4 bass heavy then the only option is the ety er4 IMO

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you find the e4 bass heavy then the only option is the ety er4 IMO

I second this.

ER4 have very controlled and articulate bass, though IMO lack in quantity but for you they might be the perfect one. They are also one of the most resolving IEMs out there, best details you could possibly get from a pair of universal IEM.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I am looking for a new pair of IEMs. I am looking at either the Shure E5C or the Shure E500PTH. I am looking for the most neutral IEM I can get. I tried out the E4Cs, and I found them a little to bass heavy for my taste. Now I am hesitant to jump to the E500s because of the fact that they have two bass drivers, and I heard how bass heavy the E4Cs were with one driver. BTW, my source was a un-amped 80GB iPod playing Apple Lossless files.

What is the best bet here?
etysmile.gif

I'm surprised this topic has not been discussed more.

I currently have a set of E4C's and am looking to upgrade to either the E500's or E5's.

From everything I've read the E5's have more bass which is not what I'm looking for. Plus the E5's are not as comfortable in ear during my short experience with them

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 14
So how do the E500 improve over the E4c? Am I right in saying that they are both the same but the E500 has an increase in bass and soundstage or a they completly differant? Im looking to upgrade soon and I dont want to get the E500 if all they do is improve in the bass and soundstage area.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do the E500 improve over the E4c? Am I right in saying that they are both the same but the E500 has an increase in bass and soundstage or a they completly differant? Im looking to upgrade soon and I dont want to get the E500 if all they do is improve in the bass and soundstage area.

here's hoping a former E4c owner and now current e500 owner will show up
eggosmile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 14
depending on your budget and tastes there are a few choices here. as iceroid and derek8555 mentioned the ety 4 (p with s cable) should be on your list. there's also the altec lansing im716 version of the ety which allows you to tailor the bass to your taste and to the particular track that you're listening to, all for a relatively low price. and then there's the new ultimate ears triple.fi 10 pros which have gotten some terrific reviews. if you're really feeling rich check out some of the customs such as the ue-10s. use the search function and check out the different threads here as much info has been posted about these goodies.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I can't speak for the E4c's, but the E500's are a HUGE improvement over the E3c's. I can't imagine that the E500's won't be a large improvement over the E4c's as well, given their 3 driver build. I hear a smoother, more even frequency response, solid, deep bass, and highs that, while not the most extended, are pretty well detailed.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

i went straight from e4s to e500s, and the difference is huge. i've posted in some other threads about it as well. the soundstage is much wider, the sound richer (much more prominent bass, but not overpowering), and less treble, but not super rolled off. there is plenty of detail, and once you get used to the e500s, you won't want to put the e4s back on. i sold my e4s after 2 weeks of the e500s.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i went straight from e4s to e500s, and the difference is huge. i've posted in some other threads about it as well. the soundstage is much wider, the sound richer (much more prominent bass, but not overpowering), and less treble, but not super rolled off. there is plenty of detail, and once you get used to the e500s, you won't want to put the e4s back on. i sold my e4s after 2 weeks of the e500s.

great to hear hope to have my E500's soon
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back