Shure E5c versus Etys -worth to jump?
Mar 25, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 30
Well shure offers 30 days money back, with no questions, does anybody like to try them, and let us know what he thinks about these E5s????

Mar 25, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 30
i own shure e5, and yes they are amazing, i did do a thread on them, if you care to search for it. And yeah they are expensive, i do also own ety er4p, but kept reading bout shure phones and my curiosity got the better of me, so i just ordered the e5. It is very good on par with ety, sound is just amazing.

Mar 25, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by evolushun
i own shure e5, and yes they are amazing, i did do a thread on them, if you care to search for it. And yeah they are expensive, i do also own ety er4p, but kept reading bout shure phones and my curiosity got the better of me, so i just ordered the e5. It is very good on par with ety, sound is just amazing.

Ah, finally someone who can do a real comparison. IIRC the e5 has some sort of built-in crossfeed, CMIIW, could you tell us a bit about it? What about the amp requirements of the e5? As you say they are on par with the ER4P I would expect them to be an alternative for people who do not want to miss the blessings of crossfeed but somehow wonder whether they could not just live happily without lugging an amp along with their iPod...
That would be me, as I need an amp (I use ER4S) for excellent sound (just great sound without it), but I shudder at the thought of listening without crossfeed - no way! Nevertheless I sometimes feel that I want to restore my iPod's ultra-portability.

Mar 25, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 30
can't tell you much about the amp requirements for the shure e5 as i plug them straight into my sony mze 900 md player (sorry), as for the in-built cross-over, its there so it can blend optimally the high- and low-frequency drivers to maximize the overall frequency response of the earphone, and the resulting sound is awesome. you have to hear for yourself to believe it. i am not like a dedicated audiophilist, but i have listened with these phones with the new sharp ds8 and sony mze 10 md players which have digital amps built in, and the sound is very good.

Mar 25, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

IIRC the e5 has some sort of built-in crossfeed

I thought it had "crossover"(which would be necessary because of its dual transducer design) and not crossfeed built-in?
confused.gif

from Shure webpage
Quote:

In-line crossover
Optimally blends the frequencies of the two drivers

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by swalker
I thought it had "crossover"(which would be necessary because of its dual transducer design) and not crossfeed built-in?
confused.gif

from Shure webpage

Ah, seems I got that wrong...argh
frown.gif

There really should be some HQ phones with integrated crossfeed... I mean, this should be possible, or would the processing need too much power? Or maybe a little extra piece of cable with a one AAA battery case, like a Sony stick-remote...still less mass than an amp.

Mar 25, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 30
I hear you Oliver... Since I got my DS8 MD player, I almost always listen to songs with Dolby Headphone turned on and there's no going back now... I just can't listen to head/earphones for a long period without some "virtualization" or crossfeed. Built-in dolby headphone is one feature of DS8 is something no other portable player can match except other Sharp MDs. All the other crossfeeds/virtualizations I heard sounded too artificial to me compared to dolby headphone except Yamaha one which lets you customize the parameters but that was on a computer soundcard (U50)

I'm sure it's not that hard to miniaturize the crossfeed circuit but I don't know if there's enough market demand for a company to take on the project...

Mar 25, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by swalker
to miniaturize the crossfeed circuit but I don't know if there's enough market demand for a company to take on the project...

Maybe this is something I should mention over at the HeadRoom board.

Mar 25, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 30
i heard the 5c at CES this year. they are VERY good. fit isn't an issue... they use the same type ear-canal fittings as Ety. includes both foams and rubber stuff... just like Ety. in fact, Ety reps told me Shure used some of their technology in the 5c as at one time they shared design specs.

high cost is justified. the ety is only one driver while the 5c uses two... twice as complicated, at least... twice as expensive. and whatever they are doing, it works great.

yes, the 5c is identical to a certain pro version, which has been on the market for many years. it is repackaged for the audiophile community. that's what the reps told me at CES.

but anyway.... they are definately worth a listen. very nice. if i had the money, i would buy them over the ety 4s.

orpheus

Mar 26, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #25 of 30
..... I am thrilled - really!

The sound is just so great - its well worth the extra few $ to my point of view.

387 US$ for a pair of headphones made some of my friens look funny - but I really enjoy them. I bought this threefold sleeve earplug with them (the foam stuff is not great I think) and they fit really well in my ear canal. It blocks outside noise very well! In the train I could really enjoy the sounds without cranking up the tunes to fight the outside noise - its fun again to listen to music in buses, trains and on the street.

The bass is amazingly full for an earphone and the resulution made me wondering and dreaming......

I would not want to miss them any more
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for all the great comments, which really helped me decide to go for it.

BTW - the cord really do not have any of this microphonic sound - so you also use them ehile walking around.....
tongue.gif

The weigh is only 31 g but they are packed in a huge box which weighs at least ten times......

Apr 1, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 30
..... this has been one of my best investments in the past month - I feel like in heaven once I have them on - even when in heavy traffic (on foot) or in subways or busses or airplanes - its just fun again to listen to music like that. Considering the value perception you have with them the price is really okay.....

Recommend them highyl - especially when buying in Korea....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 30
i think the zipper case comes with the e5c model. (EDIT: the zipper case for the e5 is fiction! thanks, mchurgin!)
i went looking for it on their store website under accessories, but it's not there...probably have to call them and order it.

yes, they are pretty incredible earphones, i love mine to death.
it's pretty incredible, at just over 50% volume on my ipod, depending on the source mp4, it is often loud to the point of pain...i'm not a loudness freak, but it'll obviously save me some serious battery! i consider that a pleasant perk.
the sound is much more clear and well-rounded than my e2's, and i have noticed sounds placed "beyond my ears". a well-recorded piece does sound 3-dimensional, a very pleasant experience indeed. unfortunately, i haven't run across too many pieces recorded/mixed that well. of course, they can't really save a lousy sounding piece...garbage in, garbage out.

i dunno if it's a $400 difference over my e2's, but i'm happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back