Shure E5c v. Super.fi 5Pro opinions?
Jul 31, 2005 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Catch

New Head-Fier
Been saving up for some time to get myself a pair of the Shure E5s and now that I am in the position to buy them I have seen the super.fi 5Pros on a few sites. Does anybody have any opinions on these two in regards to where I would best spend my cash? I can't listen to them as I have to buy over the net to get the price down and no store carries both
confused.gif

Any suggestions?

C

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 3
For me, the E5 edges out the 5 Pro by a decent margin. While I enjoy the 5 Pro it has a few traits that for me, make it less than perfect:

1) I find that the 5 Pro gets muddy when things get busy in the lower registers. The E5, while certainly not perfect in this regard, does keep a handle on things a bit better.

2) The 5 Pro is often toted as a "rock earphone", I have to both agree and disagree with this. On the positive side, it smoothes out a lot of the harshness that can be found in many of today's rock recordings. On the downside, it loses the edge that many rock songs are supposed to have. In this regard, the E5 gets it almost perfect. It's not so harsh as to become quickly fatiguing or irratating, but it captures the edge very well.

3) Asthetically, the E5 just looks better IMO. The 5 Pro sticks out a bit far and looks a little funny.

Dispite all this, the 5 Pro does have excellent bass texture for things like jazz. It also sounds VERY good on live recordings. In either case, the E5 is very close behind. There also seems to be a bit more of the highest highs in the 5 Pro, when compared to the E5. I should metion as well, that the 5 Pro is a bit more musical/groovy than the E5.

With all that said, the 5 Pro is significantly less expensive than the E5. For the price, the 5 Pro is probably the better deal, though for me, the E5 wins out because of its superior overall performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back