Shure E5c question
Nov 6, 2004 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

metal_monger

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Shure E5c and I noticed a few things. 1) it seems to get a small hiss when using my total air head+ ipod. I am pretty sure I dont get this hiss with ipod+total air head+sen 280's or grado 325's. 2) the amp doesnt seem to make much of a difference with the Shures. It makes a decent change on the grado's and a more noticable change on the sen 280's. Are the E5's not ment to benefit much from a amp?

I dont know what I think of these badboys so far. The microphonics do seem better then that of the Ety 4p's but not by much. They are pretty comfortable and I do like that, but maybe the E2's are as comfortable for 1/4th of the price? The clarity on these is pretty damn good and the bass seems pretty beefy. Someone also mentioned that the Shure e5's bring out the mp3'ness of mp3 files but I dont notice that thusfar.

Nov 6, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 11
Hiss is normal. Canalphones are very sensitive and tend to reveal imperfections in the source.

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 11
Your experience is totally normal, the high sensativity of the E5's makes them bring out hiss very easily, and also makes them relatively indifferent to amplification. Some bass, eh?
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 11
The Shure sound is really starting to grow on me and the comfort seems good so far. Just wish the microphonics where none existent everytime i move my head I feel the tugging.

Does anyone have some suggestions (other then wearing them inside your shirt) to lower the microphonics effect on these canal phones? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal_monger
The Shure sound is really starting to grow on me and the comfort seems good so far. Just wish the microphonics where none existent everytime i move my head I feel the tugging.

Does anyone have some suggestions (other then wearing them inside your shirt) to lower the microphonics effect on these canal phones? Thanks.

Is this your first foray with IEM's?, as I didn't find the microphonics a problem (except knit shirts!). Are you cinching the slide to tighten the wire behind your head? This is the most effective way of muffling any interfering microphonics.

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 11
I have also recently purchased the Shure E5c's and was suprised to hear you say they have good clarity. When i'm listening to the vocals in songs, they make a hiss noise when words include T's or S's. So far i'm not too impressed with these earphones, the memory wire that runs a small distance from the phones is very awkward to form to the back of my ears and hurts my ears in the process.

I havn't been able to try out the triple flanges on the E5's so far, do they dramatically change the sound quality? I hope so. Will post my thoughts when i recieve the triple flanges.

Mina.

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 11
What you are hearing is called sibilance, which can traced back to a lot of things, including your source and played material.

As for the memory wire, it does take quite a bit of energy to get it just right, but once you do, it is something very enjoyable to have.

Nov 27, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Using the line out on the dock with your amp should both reduce the hiss and increase the sound improvement from amping, you probably already know this, but if you don't, now you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back