Shure E5C Headphone Durability
Sep 7, 2004 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crimsonadam

Banned
You've all done it to me, i now fantasize about the Shure E5Cs. However $350+ is a lot for a lowly library clerk. So, i'd feel more comfortable if i felt awesome about the quality of the E5Cs. With my Sony MDR-848's they begin to vibrate, hum, buzz, ect any time that they're exposed to light or darkness. I'd like to hear stories about how the E5Cs have survivied where only cockroaches would survive.

Like my 848s, will they go screwy everytime the cord gets caught on the doorknob (the bane of my existence). It's ok if my $35 headphones die every couple of months, but if i was able to screw up my $350 headphones because of something stupid and small, i think i'd have to kill myself.

Are the Shure E5Cs build like a tank (oh, how i wish they were).

On a side note, is looking for bass response in a "in-ear headphone" a fools quest. Should i give up and go for the big normal headphones.

Definitely thanks y'all.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
You've all done it to me, i now fantasize about the Shure E5Cs. However $350+ is a lot for a lowly library clerk. So, i'd feel more comfortable if i felt awesome about the quality of the E5Cs. With my Sony MDR-848's they begin to vibrate, hum, buzz, ect any time that they're exposed to light or darkness. I'd like to hear stories about how the E5Cs have survivied where only cockroaches would survive.

Like my 848s, will they go screwy everytime the cord gets caught on the doorknob (the bane of my existence). It's ok if my $35 headphones die every couple of months, but if i was able to screw up my $350 headphones because of something stupid and small, i think i'd have to kill myself.

Are the Shure E5Cs build like a tank (oh, how i wish they were).

On a side note, is looking for bass response in a "in-ear headphone" a fools quest. Should i give up and go for the big normal headphones.

Definitely thanks y'all.

Well, I don't know if they're built like tanks, but they are reasonably durable. You could always run the cord down your shirt if you're worried about catching it on things.

As far as bass goes, they are awesome! These little things have incredible slam and impact as well as good extension. As I've said before, they remind me of good speakers more than any other headphone I own.

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 9
I bought my E5's in used condition (saved me burning them in) from another Head-Fi member and I absolutely love them. When you pick them up you can automatically feel the rigidity and "toughness" of them. The wiring is twice as thick as what you are probably used to and very durable.

I have just spent a month in Greece on the beach and I have to admit I haven't looked after them as much as I thought I would (they did cost me $320 after all). I have dropped them on the floor, in the sand and even worse in a puddle. They didn't work for about three hours but after drying out they were fine.

I am new to Head-fi and before buying the E5 thought about upgrading quite quickly to a custom pair of monitors. I have now decided that these are all I will ever need to listen to my Ipod - THEY ARE FANTASTIC. It took me a week or so to really appreciate the difference between them and the E2's I had before, but when you do you will smile I promise.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you can buy some on Ebay for around $280 and if you change your mind you will probably be able to sell them on for around that - not something you can do with custom made monitors.

The only other advice I would give is to use the triple flange sleeves over all the others. I find these give easily the best seal and response.

Best of luck finding a pair.

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhirvin
I bought my E5's in used condition (saved me burning them in) from another Head-Fi member and I absolutely love them. When you pick them up you can automatically feel the rigidity and "toughness" of them. The wiring is twice as thick as what you are probably used to and very durable.

I have just spent a month in Greece on the beach and I have to admit I haven't looked after them as much as I thought I would (they did cost me $320 after all). I have dropped them on the floor, in the sand and even worse in a puddle. They didn't work for about three hours but after drying out they were fine.

I am new to Head-fi and before buying the E5 thought about upgrading quite quickly to a custom pair of monitors. I have now decided that these are all I will ever need to listen to my Ipod - THEY ARE FANTASTIC. It took me a week or so to really appreciate the difference between them and the E2's I had before, but when you do you will smile I promise.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you can buy some on Ebay for around $280 and if you change your mind you will probably be able to sell them on for around that - not something you can do with custom made monitors.

The only other advice I would give is to use the triple flange sleeves over all the others. I find these give easily the best seal and response.

Best of luck finding a pair.

Very cheapest price for E5s in the UK is the equivalent of $600. I bought a pair for my ipod on a business trip to New York this week and paid $400. Great bargain and they really are incredibly good. They feel very substantial, although I wonder if the thick wire will make them a little unwieldy and more easy to catch, even though it goes behind your head.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 9
The E5Cs look and feel like they can really take a beatin' -- at nearly 400 bucks a pop, that's something you'll want to watch out for of course, but if you drop them or subject them to mild abuse, I doubt you'll run into any problems.

The tough wire does have it's disadvantages though... I personally don't like how they tangle up so easily. Every time I'm unwinding them after storage in the supplied carrying case, I have to work out the kinks before the wire becomes straight. A minor annoyance to an otherwise solid product
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevP
Very cheapest price for E5s in the UK is the equivalent of $600.

I really don't understand why they are so expensive in the UK. Bangraman mentioned that he paid nearly 900USD for them, if I remember correctly. Is it because the E5s are imported, or because the shops there all conspire to keep the prices up, or...?

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I really don't understand why they are so expensive in the UK. Bangraman mentioned that he paid nearly 900USD for them, if I remember correctly. Is it because the E5s are imported, or because the shops there all conspire to keep the prices up, or...?

We pay VAT @ 17.5% plus the dollar is weak against the pound (similar to State Tax).

Basically it would cost the same to buy UE-5c from the US and pay import duty than to get the E5 in the UK.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
We pay VAT @ 17.5% plus the dollar is weak against the pound (similar to State Tax).

Basically it would cost the same to buy UE-5c from the US and pay import duty than to get the E5 in the UK.

eek.gif

So it would be more affordable for UK'ers to send their ear impressions over to the US, get a pair of UE/Sensa done, and have it shipped over? Since I assume there would be no tax or such?

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D

It's true that the dollar is particularly weak at the moment, but the RRP is the same in the US in dollars as it is in the UK in sterling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back