Shure E5c concern
Jan 5, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thepiecesfit

New Head-Fier
Upon cleaning my e5c as per user guide using the nozzle cleaning tool included, I noticed a white piece was dislodged inside the nozzle using the nozzle cleaner. Was this some type of acoustic filter or wax guard? If so how will this affect sound quality. I managed to pull the piece out it looked like some wax guard /filter I don’t know which. If it was some acoustic filter can it be replaced? Please let me know.
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiecesfit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon cleaning my e5c as per user guide using the nozzle cleaning tool included, I noticed a white piece was dislodged inside the nozzle using the nozzle cleaner. Was this some type of acoustic filter or wax guard? If so how will this affect sound quality. I managed to pull the piece out it looked like some wax guard /filter I don’t know which. If it was some acoustic filter can it be replaced? Please let me know.
confused.gif

This just happened to me as well. It's used to shape up the high end. The mind tends to blend the sounds coming in both ears so it's hard to say how it sounds with both headphones in. Try with just the side you broke in only and plug the other ear. Then try the other and see if you notice a difference. Perhaps you didn't brake off enough of the filter to make a difference. I however did and the treble sounded very shrill like when you turn up the volume of a headphone very loud but have it a foot from your ear.

If you find that there is a difference then I might have good news (auto insurance jokes aside) shure said they will replace the headphones for me at no cost to me other than the price of shipping to them. They pay the freight back. if you're headphones are still under 2 years old they'll replace them for free even if you don't have a receipt. The date of their manufacturing is stamped onto the plug in a thinly veiled code. You can find out what it means in the support section of shure's web site to find out if you're still covered with out a receipt.

If you're not covered then they charge a flat rate of 125.00 US for a replacement pair.

Good luck, aaron.

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 15
I did both as well ;\ Where do you check this code? i bought these 10/04 the code is "244" Im not about to pay $125 for little filters, i will try calling them and asking how much I can get them for, I'm sure they can be bought somewhere.

this site has the filters for the ety's

http://www.headphone.com/products/ac...-4-filters.php

Im sure they exist for the shures somewhere ! ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This just happened to me as well. It's used to shape up the high end. The mind tends to blend the sounds coming in both ears so it's hard to say how it sounds with both headphones in. Try with just the side you broke in only and plug the other ear. Then try the other and see if you notice a difference. Perhaps you didn't brake off enough of the filter to make a difference. I however did and the treble sounded very shrill like when you turn up the volume of a headphone very loud but have it a foot from your ear.

If you find that there is a difference then I might have good news (auto insurance jokes aside) shure said they will replace the headphones for me at no cost to me other than the price of shipping to them. They pay the freight back. if you're headphones are still under 2 years old they'll replace them for free even if you don't have a receipt. The date of their manufacturing is stamped onto the plug in a thinly veiled code. You can find out what it means in the support section of shure's web site to find out if you're still covered with out a receipt.

If you're not covered then they charge a flat rate of 125.00 US for a replacement pair.

Good luck, aaron.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 15
I see , just out of curiosity what did you do with yours?

Quote:

244 means that they were made in the 24th week of 2004. Also they don't replace the filter they replace the phones i believe.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 15
I had this happen with mine - the filter ended up inside the phone, at the back end of the tube. I managed to get it out using a fine wire probe. I made a wooden stake from a toothpick with a diameter slightly less then the filter disc diameter (about 1mm) and using this stake I managed to refit the filter disk in the correct place at the end of the metal tube (I used to repair watches so am used to minute manipulations). It has remained there OK ever since - am careful now with the cleaning tool. The fact that this can happen is 'crap' - sometimes I wonder what overcame my senses to spend so much money on these phones. What with the cables turning green and the ridiculous cost of ear fitments - no matter how good they sound (sound OK) it sticks in my 'craw'.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Im going to try to argue my way into a fix/replacement even though its past warranty. There are no warnings or detailed instructions how far to insert the nozzle cleaner. As far as I'm concerned, this can happen to anyone. They should understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this happen with mine - the filter ended up inside the phone, at the back end of the tube. I managed to get it out using a fine wire probe. I made a wooden stake from a toothpick with a diameter slightly less then the filter disc diameter (about 1mm) and using this stake I managed to refit the filter disk in the correct place at the end of the metal tube (I used to repair watches so am used to minute manipulations). It has remained there OK ever since - am careful now with the cleaning tool. The fact that this can happen is 'crap' - sometimes I wonder what overcame my senses to spend so much money on these phones. What with the cables turning green and the ridiculous cost of ear fitments - no matter how good they sound (sound OK) it sticks in my 'craw'.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Im going to try to argue my way into a fix/replacement even though its past warranty. There are no warnings or detailed instructions how far to insert the nozzle cleaner. As far as I'm concerned, this can happen to anyone. They should understand.

I've heard of people getting Shure to replace headphones for free even after their warranty has expired. They really have the best customer service I've ever had to deal with.

I don't think they can just replace the filters. I think it was a design flaw on their part. Most threads i've read about this, people claim that they received a brand new sealed retail box of e5c's.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 15
I found the receipt looks like i got some more time, i will try to get it replaced

Quote:

I've heard of people getting Shure to replace headphones for free even after their warranty has expired. They really have the best customer service I've ever had to deal with.

I don't think they can just replace the filters. I think it was a design flaw on their part. Most threads i've read about this, people claim that they received a brand new sealed retail box of e5c's.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

update: received a package from shure today

ughh they sent the E4c's
frown.gif
! !

????

Have you called to notify our service department of this?

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 15
I reckon that they no longer make E5C and are probably OOS.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Ok, so I spoke to Blake from the service department and he stated that he takes care of these returns personally and that what he put in the box was a result of what was sent. But also acknowledged he could have made a mistake. So he told me to send the unopened e4c's with documentation to sort it out. Hopefully the returned box will be the E5c's. So far service from sure has been good. Will post with the resolution
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back