Shure e5c competitors?
Sep 2, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

guvnor

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a Shure E4 then sold it looking for a bit more bass, so I'm now taking a close look at the E5.

Every person who owns the E5 seems extremely happy with them, but I was wondering are there any other IEMs around the same price range with equal or better performance?

I mainly listen to hip-hop, rock, and classical, but a lil bit of everything else as well.

I'm actually planning the E5 to be my portable set, so I won't be using an amp - tho I could use one at home. I hear that an amp is not required tho, as the E5 is very sensitive and goes very loud.

I would appreciate any comments/opinions!

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 22
I'd take a closer look at the Westone UM2. It's somewhat less expensive than the Shure ($499 vs $330), and the general consensus seems to be that its sound is noticeably better.

The UM2 has a rich bass that easily equals the E5C, but also has more treble presence, giving the sound more overall balance.

I use the UM2 on the road, and it works perfectly well off my iPod with Treble Boost.

If you decide to get custom earpieces for the UM2, you'll still be paying less than you would for the E5C, which kind of clinches the case.

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 22
I've been going through canal phones looking for something to knock the E5C off it's perch but so far, I've not come across it yet. Haven't tried the UM line so maybe that's my next stop?

Anyway, the E5C has been the most "complete" sound I've heard from canalphones. Easily the most comfortable and least fatiguing of those I've tried.

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 22
UM2 or Super.Fi Pro are the two that I think of. The UM2 may be better than the Super.Fi Pro or it may not, depending on what you want.

If you want a slightly darker version of the UM2 (the bass on the UM2 and the Super.Fi Pro are about roughly the same, but the Super.Fi is a bit darker) then the Super.Fi Pro would be your phone. It's almost $100 cheaper than UM2. I have a feeling that UM2 are probably the best in the dual driver category of standard canalphones, unless you want to go custom like 2-X or UE5c or UE10s.

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 22
as much as I'd like a UE-10, I don't know if I'm THAT insane....although spending more time here will probably make that happen
biggrin.gif

anyone else have the UM2? maybe they had a chance to compare it with a e5?

I should look for more info about them....

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by guvnor
....although spending more time here will probably make that happen
biggrin.gif

Oh it'll happen
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 22
Unless you go to a dual port design, you're not going to find much improvement over the e5's. I use my e5 over the sensa's in high wear situations (most of the time), and still find them very entertaining.

Sep 3, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 22
UM2's will give you a bit more clarity than the E5c and will sound a bit more open, but they'll have a slightly harsher top-end as well. The E5c, on the other hand, has a very forward midrange, while the UM2's midrange is more integrated. The UM2, I find, is incredibly sensitive to eartip choice, much more so than any other canalphone that I've tried or had.

I would recommend the UM2 if you want more clarity, or the E5c if you want more smoothness. Honestly, they're in the same family soundwise, and differences are minor, though noticeable.

Lastly, the pricing on them has been very close. You can find the UM2 for $275 or so, and the E5c for $330 or thereabouts - maybe even cheaper.

A few more points: the E5c probably wins it as far as build quality goes (been a while since I've seen or worn one), but the UM2 is distinctly more comfortable. It is, IMO, the most comfortable universal-fit canalphone on the market! Also, the new cables on the UM2 aren't subject to the greening issue (or maybe they are but we just can't see it because the insulating material is opaque), while the E5c is definitely subject to this and is pretty much guaranteed to turn green, given the frequency of this issue's occurence. My old UM2's, with the clear cable, have now become a nice, organic green in color. Very attractive, in a "not" kind of way
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

I recently got a Shure E4 then sold it looking for a bit more bass, so I'm now taking a close look at the E5.

Every person who owns the E5 seems extremely happy with them, but I was wondering are there any other IEMs around the same price range with equal or better performance?

I mainly listen to hip-hop, rock, and classical, but a lil bit of everything else as well.

I'm actually planning the E5 to be my portable set, so I won't be using an amp - tho I could use one at home. I hear that an amp is not required tho, as the E5 is very sensitive and goes very loud.

I would appreciate any comments/opinions!

well I am not going to do a full play by play comparison.

I have owned both. I would go with the UM2s over the e5s. The high end treble is better with the UM2s then the e5s. I found the bass to be more bloated with e5s. The UM2s have less bass but more impact and goes lower. e5s are more musical. Um2s are alittle more analytical. I find the um2s to be more neutral headphone and like the better treble.

Um2 now have a black cable and have a new black case with them. Shure’s cases is different depending on which version you get. I find the case and carrying case of the Um2s nicer. Wearing the Um2s are more comfortible then the shures e5s. Has to do with the design. Durablity would go with the Shures, along with the customer service. They very good with getting things fixed quick.

If you interested do the searches in here for more details.

I didn't do a comparison of the e5s amped compared to the UM2s amped. There was quite a difference with the e5s when I run them with the SMv3. There was also a big increase when I run the with the UM2s.

Either was is really nice. I liked them both and I suggest down the road getting the sr-71 or the Smv3 to use with it. Either one with an amp will sound a lot better. I would have either with an amp over the other without an amp.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Just an FYI, the um2's are $299 from westone now.

I'd look at the um2's also. I used to have them and liked them a lot.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 22
e5c cables turning green?
blink.gif
is it the copper oxidizing? I thought they'd use oxygen-free cables...

I also did notice the UM2's $300 price from their site...

what do they mean 'Available in clear'? Are they talking about the foam tips?

also, do the wires from the UM2 transfer any noise when it's brushed against clothing? they look pretty thin like the Etys.

how is the fit with those Westone foam tips? I noticed they have a long version and short, which would you recommend? I know they will feel differently in everyones ears, but perhaps there's almost no difference or one is too small or too big for most people
tongue.gif

do any other tips from other companies fit the UM2?

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

e5c cables turning green?
blink.gif
is it the copper oxidizing? I thought they'd use oxygen-free cables...

I also did notice the UM2's $300 price from their site...

what do they mean 'Available in clear'? Are they talking about the foam tips?

also, do the wires from the UM2 transfer any noise when it's brushed against clothing? they look pretty thin like the Etys.

how is the fit with those Westone foam tips? I noticed they have a long version and short, which would you recommend? I know they will feel differently in everyones ears, but perhaps there's almost no difference or one is too small or too big for most people
tongue.gif

do any other tips from other companies fit the UM2?

Shure e5s and Westones Um2s bring some on the noise home. No one was better then other. I don't think the cable is much different. Both of them have upgraded there cable so it doesn't go green.

I used the longer foams for the Um2s. They worked well and can use same foams from the shures or ety's as on the Um2s. Generally comes down to personal preference. If you don't like what you get, order different ones. They are pretty cheap.

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I'd take a closer look at the Westone UM2. It's somewhat less expensive than the Shure ($499 vs $330), and the general consensus seems to be that its sound is noticeably better.

The UM2 has a rich bass that easily equals the E5C, but also has more treble presence, giving the sound more overall balance.

I use the UM2 on the road, and it works perfectly well off my iPod with Treble Boost.

If you decide to get custom earpieces for the UM2, you'll still be paying less than you would for the E5C, which kind of clinches the case.

I think that you are being very misleading and biased, I don’t think anyone pays $499 for E5C’s, I am certainly no expert and very new to IEM’s and I only paid $339 for mine.

When someone is reaching out for help, wouldn’t it be better to give people information that they can use to make a wise purchasing decision??

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 22
i own the um2's and they bring great listening pleasure to me
biggrin.gif
. my friend had the e5c's and i got to try them out and the sound was very similar, but the um2s sounded a bit deeper and accurate. for me they are definitely more comfortable. also they look cool with the new black cable and clear adapter. im thinking of asking to demo the e5c's again just to see how they sound with newer albums....if i end up buying them, its all head-fi's fault!! (sorry wallet
frown.gif
)

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I think that you are being very misleading and biased, I don’t think anyone pays $499 for E5C’s, I am certainly no expert and very new to IEM’s and I only paid $339 for mine.

When someone is reaching out for help, wouldn’t it be better to give people information that they can use to make a wise purchasing decision??

Also, I have to add. You pay for say $39 more and get a e5c, but you also get more accessories, such as more sleeves, level attenuator, and 2 years warrantee instead of one.

Right now, Westone UM2 lowered the price to $299, but it came with a $5 dollar puch instead of the indestructable pelican case. Also, UM2 also came with only 3 comply tips, and trust me comply tips will need to be changed in 1 month. Therefore, you end up spending the difference of the money you get for shure e5c on getting different sleeves, and accessories and end up spending more money on UM2.

Also, that extra year of warrantee is very attractive.

I also have to comment on UM2. It has layback soundstage compared to shure e4c. Sometimes, I just get annoyed by it. I personally prefer earphones that makes me feel that I am very close to the singer and instruments. On the other hand, some people prefer shure e5c because it is more engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back