Shure E5c cable snagged, replace with?
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

msflsim

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

For a while i was very very happy with my Shure E5c, great iem and tough.
Bought them from a fellow headfier two years ago and had absolutely no problems.
Unitl a few weeks ago when a small dog in the bus that played in my lap had a bite on the cable and now the silver wiring is exposed.
Im guessing over time and repetative bends this will have an effect on the wiring inside and will eventualy affect the sound..bummer..

I emailed shure about it and they said they can offer 37.5% off if i send the broken pair.

I would love to replace them with SCL5 but that will come to nearly £375!! (with the discount).

The SE530 are cheaper and i heard lots of good things about them but the cable thing wories me.

What else is there in that range guys? Anything you can recomend i will look into. Obviously i need something thats as robust as my E5's are/were.

Nik

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 3
If you are going to look at replacing the E5c (SCL5 now), the 530 would be a natural progression. I have been lucky with an original 500 without cord problems, but even the newer cord seems to have issues.

However, you now have so many additional choices. The Senn IE8, Westone W3, or UE's Triple.fi, or even the PFE for a lot less. The Senn may be the cheapest option of the Big 4 since you are in Europe. The Westone UM2 could be another choice for US$300; it's very durable and a cousin to the E5 (both apparently designed by Westone, but Shure modified their version to become the E5), but the UM2 is a bit muddier and the highs are even more rolled off than the typical Shure. It does have a better fit than the E5, and it's a very very durable IEM.

I have to say that the E5 is one of the most rugged IEMs I have experienced. Too bad about your cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back