Shure E500 with or without amplifier?
Apr 4, 2008 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sinadin

New Head-Fier
For several months I'm trying to find if I really need the amplifier for Shure E500 when connected to my iPod's Sendstation dock line out. I would like to know you opinion about this. I tried XM4 by Portable Devices, it works OK but I can't say that I prefer this sound to one that I'm getting without it... It become like an obsession to me
smily_headphones1.gif
The clearness of direct connection is closer to my taste but I also like XM4's positioning and depth.

Cheers, Deyan in Belgrade

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 5
My E500s sound great out of my IPhone and various IPODS but they really slam driven off the RSA Predator on the Lo gain setting. The bottom end steps up and they get more agressive in the top end, which they can use but for mobil use in noisy environments (train etc) they are fine unamped with good source material.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 5
I never heard of anybody listening thru the ipod's lineout without an amp, good suggestion! i think removing the ipod's headphone amp from the circuit is 50% of the improvement you'll see for 500's and SE530, the other is going to a decent DAC/amp. The combo of Apple lossless > Macbook or powerbook > DAC > amp is quite beautiful for the older acoustic jazz i listen to.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 5
i also use the 530's with the rsa predator and have noticed a punchier, tighter bass. i don't know how much is attributed to the amp and how much to the line out connection but the difference from the headphone out is significant enough for me to recommend an amp. if nothing else the amp has also made my car stereo sound better with my fm transmitter and also with my speakers at home. all in all the amp was a more versatile and therefore better purchase than the 530's.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks all for replying. I spent some time last night listening various music on Shure E500 with and without X Practical Devices XM4 amp. Definitely, I'm getting clearer sound without it. I guess much better option for my Shure would be amp with the DAC. At the moment I feel that lot of sound quality fades because of the analog connection. I forgot to stress that I use level attenuator when connecting e500 directly to the source!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back