Shure e500 - where'd all this bass come from??
Oct 23, 2007 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't know what happened, but suddenly there's a TON of bass. I first noticed it when I put the small soft flex sleeves on, and thought huh, I must be getting a better seal. For some reason though, it sounded slightly veiled, whereas before with the medium tips it sounded clearer. But the smalls were much more comfortable so I kept them on.

Just for the fun of it, I decided to put the mediums back on to see if there really was a difference in sound. What?? There's a TON of bass now, even more than with the smalls.... there's way way more bass than when I first put these puppies in.

So, I'm just left wondering... people say there isn't any burn-in with these things, but where'd all this bass come from? Also, where'd my mid go? There's a little bit more than with the smalls, but with all this bass, things don't sound quite as clear as before.

Am I losing it?
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 16
It is about the seal. You do not feel if the seal is perfect, I just have to listen if it is. Maybe the first time you did not get it perfect...

When I test with tips I always check some bass-heavy songs I know to verify the seal (I like to use Madonna's Vogue or Justify my Love, they both have a steady bass line.)

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 16
There's no burn in. You probably just got a better seal with the medium tips. I used E2Cs for a couple of years (with soft gray tips) before I got my E500s. It took about a week of trial and error before I finally got a good, reliable seal with the E500s, even with the soft gray tips. It was just a question of learning how to insert them. I couldn't hold them exactly the same way I did with the E2Cs, for instance. Now I use the black olive tips and those are the best for isolation and deepest bass (for me anyhow).

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, I think you're both right there... I think I just figured out how to insert them properly with the smalls, then the mediums just enhance the bass.

I've owned many IEMs, but each one is a little bit different when it comes to inserting, and I probably wasn't getting a good seal.

Now, it's a matter of figuring out what to do about the rest of the sound... EQ is still out of the question without an amp to back it up. hmmm....

What are the black olives? The foams? I think I'm gonna order a set of smalls... see how they sound/feel.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes, the black foams are the "olives." I found the olives to have way too much bass, but afterall coming from a set of Etys I can see why I found them overly bassy. I just got my Shures a few days ago as well, so far I'm partial to the small grey softflex tips.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 16
I've seen olive oil mentioned a couple times now... there's no way I'm sticking anything lubed in oil in my ear.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 16
I have found that the best seal comes from the clear flex tips or the tri-flanges. Foam doesnt give that 'pop' feeling, and wont go in as far (soft material wont go as far as more sturdy). Try sticking with non foams for better bass response, and foams for better isolation.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 16
so far the only ones i can stand are the small grey ones... the other ones are too stiff or go in too far (even after cutting the extra nob of to make a bi-flange).. and the yellow foams don't work for me at all.. too much of a hassle.

out of all of them, the mediums have the most bass for me.. too bad they're so darn uncomfortable....
frown.gif

is there anything i can do, any mods, so that i can use my other tips from the other IEMs? they're the ones with the bigger holes.. ex ex71, apple, e2c, panasonic, ep630/cx300, etc..

some sort of adapter would be great! maybe i'll cut up a set of the other tips.. maybe the clears, and use them to thicken up the port.... hmmmm......

edit: nope, that didn't work.. tips are too short

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the best sleeves to use to get the best seal?

Clear Flex.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clear Flex.

No. The only accurate answer to this question is, "it depends." Everyone's ears are different. For me, the triple flanges give the best seal, but it varies from person to person.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

already answered above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back