Shure E500 vs Westone EM2
Sep 9, 2006 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, this is nuts, but I guess many of us share this affliction. If you only had enough cash to get either the E500 or the EM2, which would you take and why?

Backgound: I've been listening to the UM2's for a while now (5G ipod > cryodock > Hornet M) and while the UM2's are okay, they aren't the IEM's I'd want to own for the rest of my life. They are very good for blues and old time rock I listen to, but I find the bass a little flabby and the overall resolution not quite as good as I'd like. Now, I listen only in the gym and have something of a problem with universal fit monitors, they seem to slowly fall out of my ears and lose their seal. This is particularly true when I get on some aerobic type machine and start bouncing and sweating.

So I decided to get customs and have ordered a set of EM2's. The first set that came back weren't quite right so I'm having them remade.

Here's where the "affliction" comes in. The brief time I spent with the ES2's made me think they were very nice, definitely a step (or 3) above the UM2's, but they still seemed to lack a bit of the detail and resolution I seem to prefer. Further and worse, I switched back to the UM2's while I've been waiting and yesterday the UM2's disappeared. I either lost them or they were stolen, I don't really know what happened.

So, like the compulsive person I am, I started looking around for some replacements and have been reading all the comments on the E500's and am curious. Maybe I should get the E500's as a "backup" pair while I wait on the ES2's. Then I think that once the ES2's arrive they will deliver everything I could possibly want and the ES2's will gather dust.

So fellow crazies, what do you think? How do the universal fit E500's measure up against the custom ES2's? If I were starting with no IEM's at all, which would make me happier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back