Shure E500 to UE10Pro ???
Jan 9, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 39
For a thousand dollars (and when you already have E500s) why not get some full-sized headphones and a good amp? As sweet as the UE10s are, I'd be willing to bet you'd be better off with some 650s in the long run.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 39
I don't own the UE-10, and Shure is the first high-quality headphone I've purchased, first E2c and now E500PTH, so my opinion is definitely biased, but I cannot see a headphone being that much better than the Shure E500 to qualify a $500 price increase, if the UE goes for $1000 as I've read. You can find the E500 factory sealed on Ebay from reputable sources for $360. And I personally really enjoy the PTH device that comes with the E500. It allows me to talk to work associates without having to remove the IEM. They are also extremely confortable and seal well with the new Shure prototype black foam tips..I'm glad mine just happened to come with them! I've heard Shure will be releasing them for sale in the next months.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a thousand dollars (and when you already have E500s) why not get some full-sized headphones and a good amp? As sweet as the UE10s are, I'd be willing to bet you'd be better off with some 650s in the long run.

All depends on what the person is looking for ultimate portable set-up or both. I love my HD600's and HR-2 setup too.

You could sell the E500's but I would probably say get a RSA Hornet to go with the E500's unless you dying to spend money.

You would be surprized what the E500's are capable of with a good amp.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrwalte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own the UE-10, and Shure is the first high-quality headphone I've purchased, first E2c and now E500PTH, so my opinion is definitely biased, but I cannot see a headphone being that much better than the Shure E500 to qualify a $500 price increase, if the UE goes for $1000 as I've read. You can find the E500 factory sealed on Ebay from reputable sources for $360. And I personally really enjoy the PTH device that comes with the E500. It allows me to talk to work associates without having to remove the IEM. They are also extremely confortable and seal well with the new Shure prototype black foam tips..I'm glad mine just happened to come with them! I've heard Shure will be releasing them for sale in the next months.

Im sure people with 39.00 sonys say the same thing about your E500's how can they be that $330.00 more? You get what you pay for. That goes for just about everything I can think of in life.

And in this case it's at least noticable!

Hey if the cost is the only hurdle it's only money! (bonus right? treat yourself)

Oh ya thats why Im broke again dont listen to me! LOL!!!
orphsmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sure people with 39.00 sonys say the same thing about your E500's how can they be that $330.00 more?

Of course, I get that now when I tell people how much they cost. But most people with a cheap 39 sony bud (of which I also own) listen to an E500, they'd be like, "holy crap! That's why it's worth $330 more!" The difference is HUGE. My point was, the difference from UE-10 and E500 may not be that huge and one may be wondering why they spent $500+ more. At some point the bang isn't worth the buck. Many would say so at the E500 cost. More would say so at the UE-10 cost
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a few decent full size cans, my goal is to have something that can slip into a pocket and sound great, so that I can enjoy great music wherever I go and not have to carry a ton of gear with me, I own some pretty high end audio gear for the home, but this needs to be something that I can enjoy anywhere.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Breifly before my sleeping pills kick in!
blink.gif

I originally Rated the E500's Bass an A with the Hornet. Hinesight it would have been A- and the UE-10's a A. Im going to still leave room for an A+ improvement although I dont think it exists.

The Bass has more quanity on the E500 but more quality on the UE's. Bass is just as deep but not as boomy. Very Fast and tight I would compare it to a sub ported vs sealed if you know what I mean.

Mids are just perfect very harmonic smooth. Upfront but not overbearing. I think the E500's and the UE's were pretty similar here except the UE's seem even closer to you. 2nd row vs 5th Row.

I decribed the E500's highs as detached. Just doesnt seem to blend with the rest of whats going on. Do you hear that as well?

Highs on the UE's are simply amazing and where these babys shine. Not so analytical as you read about just crisp, clean, detailed. Cymbals seem to shimmer longer and just fade away. I swear you can hear the springs on the bottom of the snare drum. I mean hear the Springs rattle on the drum head AMAZING!!!!!!

Highs are just liquid through the Hornet especially. Love em. and this was my biggest fear too much high and not enough low. But it's blended just perfect IMO!

My biggest complaint is that I just cant seem to forget they are in my ear. They are pretty intrusive and take awile to get used to for sure. I have a good fit and nothing rubs or moves and they stay locked in. (you literally screw these into your ears like a wood screw into sheet rock.) I just want to get to the point where I can get lost in the music and for some reason I keep thinking about the IEMS being in my ears.

Shures were very comfy right of the bat.

Does that help ya?

Todd

Thanks,
This helps quite a bit!

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #23 of 39
imz14u2nv ,
I currently own a pair of E5c and Sensaphonics Prophonic 2X-S.
Before my purchase of my 2X-S, I went through reviews of UE10Pro and 2X-S here on Headfi, then I decided to go for it.
You can find reviews comparing between E5c, ER4, UE10Pro, and 2X-S (not all of them in the same post, but I believe you can come to a conclusion yourself after reading all of them)

I liked my E5c very much before, but now, I must say, 2X-S is just great! It is really incredible and the sound is really comfortable and relaxed, meaning you can listen to it for a long time without your ears feeling tired. Also, the details and the bass are still very well expressed when listening in a low volume!
Though it is designed for monitoring, but instead, I think it is a very musical headphone, very enjoyable indeed! I "desire" to listen to it whenever I can, no kidding!

And for UE10Pro or ES3, one of my friend has both of them. And I was really lucky, cuz her impressions magically fit with mine
smily_headphones1.gif
so I had the chance to listen to both UE10Pro and ES3.

In my opinion, UE10Pro is as it is designed for, monitoring. The sound stage is really really big and wide, and the music, the vocal, the instruments, are close to you. I feel like really standing on a live performance stage in an open area. I think it is not as musical, but I believe it would be great if you use them to watch live tour DVDs LOL.
I also like the ES3. Just as others say, with the mid range bump you can feel that the vocal, the guitar are more expressed, but in a very comfortable way. The sound stage is also expressed in a very comfortable, but very different way from 2X-S. The ES3 is also a earphone you can listen to for a long time without feeling tired.
I have to say that I like 2X-S most, but, ES3 *might* be my next goal IF I have the money. Apart from IEMs, I am also willing to get a pair of HD650s, they are great too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chihku /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to say that I like 2X-S most, but, ES3 *might* be my next goal IF I have the money. Apart from IEMs, I am also willing to get a pair of HD650s, they are great too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you say that the HD650 sound superior to the 3 custom IEMs?

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the HD650 sound superior to the 3 custom IEMs?

No, I wouldn't say that, but it is surely a totally different kind of sound.
It has it's own unique sweet point
tongue.gif

I also think 2X-S is a very special earphone, very... um, I guess you can say, it has it's own personality
eggosmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

I decribed the E500's highs as detached. Just doesnt seem to blend with the rest of whats going on. Do you hear that as well?

that's my biggest complaint. the e500 bass and midrange are very prominent, but the highs kind of seem like an afterthought. granted, i knew this because i've owned three other shure earphones and two of them had serious treble roll off, but i figured that at $400, the e500 would come through on all fronts.

that said, i've grown accustomed to the treble, and it's definitely there, just probably not as pronounced as, say, your super duper UE10s. i can't say i'm not surprised either, because those are top of the line IEMs that professional musicians use to actually monitor sounds onstage, etc. e500s are way more laid back, but they don't lack detail at all, and they're the fullest, clearest IEMs i've tried so far (out of e2 e3 e4 e5 er4)

darn it, i wish i could get some UE10s. if i had a million dollars, i'd buy some.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Of course, I get that now when I tell people how much they cost. But most people with a cheap 39 sony bud (of which I also own) listen to an E500, they'd be like, "holy crap! That's why it's worth $330 more!" The difference is HUGE. My point was, the difference from UE-10 and E500 may not be that huge and one may be wondering why they spent $500+ more. At some point the bang isn't worth the buck. Many would say so at the E500 cost. More would say so at the UE-10 cost
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes its worth the Money! Trust ME!

Lets say the sony>E500 was a trade up of from a 3>8 .

E500's are like an 8>10 with the 10 pro' but those extra 2 points go a loooooooooog way! As much of an increase no! but when you get into this high end of an IEM it's damn noticable.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I think at these price levels, we are *well* past the bang for buck stage in my book. The KSC75 is a lot of bang for the buck. $500-$1000 IEMs? Well, IMHO thats what you pay to eek out that small margin of refinement some folks can extract. In this rarified atmosphere of super high-end IEM's, the margin costs more money on a seemingly exponential scale. Much like breaking the sound barrier...takes a LOT more juice to just push past the envelope than it takes to fly 3/4 of that speed.

R/
Dustin

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Yes its worth the Money! Trust ME!

Lets say the sony>E500 was a trade up of from a 3>8 .

E500's are like an 8>10 with the 10 pro' but those extra 2 points go a loooooooooog way! As much of an increase no! but when you get into this high end of an IEM it's damn noticable.

i agree 100% with what he said, and i've owned the e500 in the past as well. in hindsight, the UE-10 was money well spent and definitely lived up to the extra 500 bucks. but this is just personal opinion and you can't really argue with us (and vice versa) whether the improvements are worth the extra 500 bucks. the only thing you can do is try it for yourself. if you can't fork out the extra cash for the UE-10, then hey, the UE-10 is not for you...

i wish i could listen to a balanced k-1000 through the RSA B-52, but i definitely can't afford it. so it's not for me right now...

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #30 of 39
Late to the party here but if you are looking for images of different configs of the 10pro's a search should turn up several variations. Also if you hit them with a email (UE) they will be more than glad to email pics of some they have created. Basically as said before, there are few limits to what can be done as in color combinations and simple graphics. If you have something in mind you can send them img and they will review it. Of course this all comes at a small additional cost for artwork (50 dollars I believe he said). I am slowly in the process of creating a pair myself and so far have decided on candy red and blue for the base colors and adding (at least for now) a biohazard symbol on one side and on the other splitting DNA since it will be a bonus from work paying for it.
icon10.gif
Instead of paint though I want it etched on the metal plate that is embedded in the plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back