Shure E500 Review
Aug 23, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

imz14u2nv

100+ Head-Fier
Aug 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 17
I just got my Shure E500, and I can second the review. The fit is really comfortable. I would say I felt this more comfy than my custom UE10 Pro when using foam.

I will comment on the sound later, but the initial impression is good, the bass interestingly not what I expect, the bass quantity I felt is a bit stronger than UE10 Pro, but not like what I read from other people that the bass is overwhelming, and very clear soudning IEM.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I just got my Shure E500, and I can second the review. The fit is really comfortable. I would say I felt this more comfy than my custom UE10 Pro when using foam.

I will comment on the sound later, but the initial impression is good, the bass interestingly not what I expect, the bass quantity I felt is a bit stronger than UE10 Pro, but not like what I read from other people that the bass is overwhelming, and very clear soudning IEM.

I currently own the Shure E5C and have been very happy with them, I recently order the Shure E500 from ttvj and have been waiting patiently for them to ship, so I hope that I can live through you until they arrive.
When do you think that you can comment more on sound quality??

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 17
I will give it a week. I own westone UM2, and I can tell you Shure E500 is a much much better IEM compared to UM2.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

I would say I felt this more comfy than my custom UE10 Pro when using foam.

eek.gif
are you serious?

With the iems i've tried (shure e4c, etymotic er4s, 4p) the comfort has always been a big, big issue. I've tried different tips and after an hour they become too painful/noticeable.

I imagine a custom iem is as comfortable as wearing a full size headphone??

Is that the case? and if so the shure e400 is that comfortable?

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
eek.gif
are you serious?

With the iems i've tried (shure e4c, etymotic er4s, 4p) the comfort has always been a big, big issue. I've tried different tips and after an hour they become too painful/noticeable.

First of all they are called e500.

You can never really compare a full size headphone to a IEM.

when i get a really good seal with my iems (e2c) I cant feel them after a while.
etysmile.gif

I dont know but i guess you cant get that feeling with a fulsize can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent review btw, sounds to me that there should be no comfortable issues with e500 at all.

Right now i am waiting for the "triple X" so I can choose between either those, e5 or e500.

hopefully a second hand pair on ebay, cause they dont ship these outside Us right?

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

eek.gif
are you serious?

It seems like you will never get used to the IEMs. Even if the E500s are a huge jump in comfort, you just seem like the kind of guy who won't be able to get along with IEMs. Don't worry, you're not alone.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

eek.gif
are you serious?

UE10 Pro is made of hard material, and it is very tight to insure proper seals. If you get used to it, it is very comfortable. However, Shure e500 is different because it is universal and it does not go as far into the canal region, and it is so light to the point that you almost feel nothing when it is sitting in the cavity of the ears. the UE10 Pro on the other hand is kind of heavy, and when I use for a long time, the cavity region of my ears can feel a be stressed due to the weight.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 17
Just more initial impression. I felt E500 has more lively sound (or I can say Shure colored) compared to UE10 Pro. Definitely, more fun to listen to than listening to UE10 Pro.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 17
Some of these UE-10 to Shure E500 comparisons have left me bewildered.

From my experience, the E500 do not match up to the UE-10 in any meaningful way, which is quite unfortunate. Maybe customs sound different (worse?) than universal fit UE-10?

-Matt

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

UE10 Pro is made of hard material, and it is very tight to insure proper seals. If you get used to it, it is very comfortable. However, Shure e500 is different because it is universal and it does not go as far into the canal region, and it is so light to the point that you almost feel nothing when it is sitting in the cavity of the ears. the UE10 Pro on the other hand is kind of heavy, and when I use for a long time, the cavity region of my ears can feel a be stressed due to the weight.

Oh wow, I guess, I would be getting E500 or Triple X instead of UE10-Pro. Especially if E500 is indeed sounded better than the UE10-Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty happy with Super.Fi 5 Pro exciting sound except for the comfort. Super.Fi 5 Pro, is not that comfortable for me, for prolong period of usage. I find UM2 to be very-very comfortable.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
Oh wow, I guess, I would be getting E500 or Triple X instead of UE10-Pro. Especially if E500 is indeed sounded better than the UE10-Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty happy with Super.Fi 5 Pro exciting sound except for the comfort. Super.Fi 5 Pro, is not that comfortable for me, for prolong period of usage. I find UM2 to be very-very comfortable.

I had the E500s for a few weeks now. I find the E500s as a nice change but don't replace the UE-10s. The sound is just different. As with anything new, the E500 sounded more interesting at first. When I first tried the E500 I was excited by the bass and just a different flavor of sound in general. Now that newness has wore off to some, I can be alittle more objective about what I hear.

E500s detail is alittle less. Bass is more present, Which is good for some songs or setting. But then is bad for others. Upper Treble isn't as detailed and do roll off abit. Compare E500s to e5s which dramatically rolls off, the upper treble would seem to be great. Compared to UE-10s the e500s do though roll off just alittle.

(The comfort) Well E500s isolate more but the fit will vary depending on person. I say more chancy with the fit. Ue-10s the fit is hard but made for you. They don't isolate as much but are easier to take out and put in. I couldn't see the need to the speak to listen device with UE-10s. In an active setting the UE-10s are far better choice. E500s like other universal headphone can get water logged especially when you have to take them out and put them back in.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 17
To add more UE10 Pro vs Shure E500. I do not feel Shure E500 is better than UE10 Pro. There is one song on my list that Shure E500 has a lot of trouble, the bass will seem to blow out, but on UE10 Pro, the bass is tight and controlled. This is fixed with some help of amp like Hornet, but still the bass is not as tight and too bloated for my tastes.

I think it is a matter of flavour. Shure E500 is definitely a lot more fun to listen to or maybe because this is new stuff for me.

And everytime I switch back from Shure E500 to UE10 Pro, I can notice a lot of warmth disappeared, and making me feel that I am listening to Sony MDR-SA5000.

However, I did notice that Shure E500 has better instrument separation on certain songs.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

To add more UE10 Pro vs Shure E500. I do not feel Shure E500 is better than UE10 Pro. There is one song on my list that Shure E500 has a lot of trouble, the bass will seem to blow out, but on UE10 Pro, the bass is tight and controlled. This is fixed with some help of amp like Hornet, but still the bass is not as tight and too bloated for my tastes.

I think it is a matter of flavour. Shure E500 is definitely a lot more fun to listen to or maybe because this is new stuff for me.

And everytime I switch back from Shure E500 to UE10 Pro, I can notice a lot of warmth disappeared, and making me feel that I am listening to Sony MDR-SA5000.

However, I did notice that Shure E500 has better instrument separation on certain songs.

Gee, I have been telling you guys this from day one, before the product was released; if you listen - you could had saved $500 bucks.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Gee, I have been telling you guys this from day one, before the product was released; if you listen - you could had saved a $500 bucks.

LOL. It is more than $500, it is same as my ue10 pro because I got scammed on head-fi, when I order the Shure e500, and it never arrived, and recently finally the Canada retailer has stock, so I order from the retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back