Shure E500 PTH Not bad...I like it!
Sep 16, 2006 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

imz14u2nv

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen many complaints about the Shure PTH Module, today while playing around with my E500’s (comparing them to my Shure E5C’s), I decided to give the PTH a try.
I got a Co-worker to just come over and have a conversation with me, I plugged in the unit and turned up the volume, I was actually pretty surprised with what I heard, despite all of the complaints, I found it to be pretty good.

I also like the fact that this thing has a slider instead of a button, as I could just slide it to the on position and have a conversation and listen to other things going on in the office, The only complaint that I have is that I am not sure where to store the unit for transport.

Overall I must say that this thing is pretty darn good.

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 11
I have to agree with you... I really like the PTH. It looks like we're the only two people that actually think it's useful. I work in a very annoying office, and not having to pull my iem's out every time someone wants to ask me a stupid question is quite nice. The only problem is that I think my PTH unit is defective. I've got around 50 hours on it and I'm getting some strange crackling noises in the left transducer. Oh well, I guess I'll be putting Shure's 2 year warranty to the test
smily_headphones1.gif

And before someone asks me... no the crackling isn't there when I take the PTH out of the circuit and replace it with the straight cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Go ahead and count me as third. The PTH is a great device. My only wish would have been for Shure to somehow use smaller battery unit, which would've reduced the size of the unit. Regardless, the functionality of the device is very satisfying!

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 11
I work in an office all day and regularly have people interrupting my work to talk so you could say I'd be an ideal candidate for the PTH. I don't have any big problems with it but I just find it easier to pull out one of the earpieces and I can hear more clearly that way than with the PTH. With the more difficult to insert E5Cs though I guess I'd be more tempted to leave them in and use the PTH.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Is is possible to use the PTH with the E5c? Have you tried it?

Yes, it works fine with the E5c. The cable is a lot longer than the E500 though.

Quoting Shure...

"Included with the E500PTH and available as an optional accessory for all Shure E Series models, the PTH control switch is also compatible with other brands of earphones."

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu
I work in an office all day and regularly have people interrupting my work to talk so you could say I'd be an ideal candidate for the PTH. I don't have any big problems with it but I just find it easier to pull out one of the earpieces and I can hear more clearly that way than with the PTH. With the more difficult to insert E5Cs though I guess I'd be more tempted to leave them in and use the PTH.
wink.gif

It’s funny how everything just depends on how something works for the individual, I pull my E5C’s out every time someone is looking in my direction (very annoying as most times they have nothing important to say), I actually find that it takes me longer to get the E500 in place, I guess it is because the E5C has the memory wire, so, it is easier for me to tell which one goes where and the correct orientation jumps out at me, maybe with more use the E500 will become second nature also.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 11
The e500 are my first IEM's, so I cant really compare taking it out, but I love the pth, its very usefull. How much are IEM's actually soposed to block out noise, because I can still hear talking when I just mute the music, and hear it much better with the pth on

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
It’s funny how everything just depends on how something works for the individual, I pull my E5C’s out every time someone is looking in my direction (very annoying as most times they have nothing important to say), I actually find that it takes me longer to get the E500 in place, I guess it is because the E5C has the memory wire, so, it is easier for me to tell which one goes where and the correct orientation jumps out at me, maybe with more use the E500 will become second nature also.

Heh, I think you are right about it coming down to how it works for the individual. I was always taking out my E5Cs too but I found it was hard to get the right position and seal when putting them back in and the thicker cabling didn't help. I couldn't stand the memory wire so it was cut off in the first day. The first time I put in my E500s I assumed it would be hard to get used to but it just went in easy first try. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, that was so much easier than the E5Cs".
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Well, I just got my replacement E500's yesterday as my first pair had an issue with the PTH attachment so I was forced to return them so I'm just now getting a chance to give this PTH device a try. I kinda like it. I can see it being useful and so far, I've not noticed any degradation/colouration of the sound.

I agree that a smaller unit would have been more useful and instead of a sliding button, a true "push" button would have been more desirable from my perspective. In any event, I can see it being quite useful during travel. I'm anxious to give it a try with my regular setup. All in all, a nice feature which could be better, but still I find it useful.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

All in all, a nice feature which could be better, but still I find it useful.

I agree. PTH can be pretty handy when listening in a public environment and it sure beats repreatedly removing and reinserting your IEMs, but perhaps a future implementation will be improved in terms of size and weight.

And of course you don't have to use the PTH cable in a situation where you don't need it, other cables are included as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back