Shure E500 Owners: e500's or se420 for use with creative zen touch?
Apr 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with spooky on most things. An amp imo does not "improve" iems it just changes the sound sig slightly. I owned a Tomahawk and own a MisterX Xp amp, the toma was more neutral and the Xp is more bassy and fun. I never really heard any more detail like others say, just a different way the music is presented. Both are great amps btw.

Also the cable has to be broken in, mine was the same way, never sat well in the back og my ears. Now they are nice in curved like if it had memory wire in it. Yes I hate to boat anchor in the middle as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Near the end of my e500 experience the cable started seating slightly better, and I even noted I was doubting my rather significant upgrade to customs. Well, after the customs arrived I realized how superior the cable was. And that was after a few seconds of adjustment to fit them properly. Shure should be embarassed they put such an inferior cable on something costing (retail) nearly as much as the westone customs.

However, I do think the e500 sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure should be embarassed they put such an inferior cable on something costing (retail) nearly as much as the westone customs.

Yes Westone uses awesome cables, that is what I miss from my old UM2's

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 26
thanks guys. Yea the se 420s are available to order from some places but they do not ship immediately. I think i'm gonna get the 500's, its a great price and its going from shure's second model to their top for me, so i'm sure i'll be extremely impressed by them.

I wont be using these while walking around, it will be mostly while i'm studying for exams - which will be hours and hours for the next two months.

also after looking through old threads, the people who had problems with the e500's seem to be serious audiophile types. I'm certainly not that.

About the wire: if it's similar to E3's I don't think i'll have a problem with them. Like Apnk mentioned, my e3's do have a natural curve after heavy use. I also wear glasses so i can keep the wire tucked under them.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E500s are sensitive to hiss. It's not the fault of the headphones, but of noisy electronics driving them. My Squeezebox and my Powerbook both had noticeable hiss when using the E500, so I solved the problem by going to offboard DACs. Good headphones are going to show faults like this: a headphone that responds well to cymbals and other high-frequency music are also going to respond to hiss in the amplifier.

My Archos AV-500 has a good headphone amp. I don't notice hiss. What I do get is hard-drive spin-up noise when it reads more music from the disk.

I like the E500 a lot. They just want good associated electronics. I've never used an Ipod so don't know anything about their sound quality.

I am glad to hear that. I just got my new E500 to replace my E2C. I was comparing the two and first, the E500 is more sensitive, I need to turn the volume down two clicks on the iMac analog out for the E500. And, it is "hissy" !! It does not have hiss with my thinkpad analog output, so I am glad. I guess I have to go find a outboard DAC now...

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

what do you mean by cold sound for the E500's???

Comparing to dual drivers they have cold sound.

Hiss is noticeable in quiet places only, but it's because IEMs are really sensitive.

Something about cable: I got yesterday new E500s which come from Shure service. New ones are improved: part which is made of soft rubber and is next to earphone now is made of more stiff rubber and it doesn't seem to get out of its place (what happend in my old E500s). Also cord isn't also as stiff as it used to be (he might lose his flexibility after some time, though).

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 26
These(E500PTH triple driver) are better than SE420 which dual drivers IEMs. Iam using E500PTH with my ipod and i notice no hiss at all when playing music. First when i bought E500PTH i noticed these were sound cold(maybe because i used SF5Pro which sound warm). So i download SRS WOW SANDBOX software which increase the soundfield(warm and very clean) and it's(E500PTH) sound warm after as SF5Pro.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone talking here about the SE420 even tried them?

Uh....NO cause they haven't been released yet. That's why this thread is cracking me up
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kano47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shure E2 are falling apart and it's time for an upgrade to either the se420 or se530 when they are available. I'm not sure which to go for.

There is a review of the se420 at http://www.trustedreviews.com/multim...-Headphones/p1

They also have reviews of the se210 & se310.

That review(??) which says absolutely nothing in 8 paragraphs was already posted here a while back. We still don't know how the SE420 sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back