SHURE E500 or Westone ES-2?
Dec 18, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wahlau88

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i've been lurking here for a while, what a great informative site.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new pair canalphones. I'll be playing them straight out of an 4-gen ipod photo or a new Ipod Nano unamped so i would like everyones opinion of which I should get. I'm more interested in musicality as opposed to clean analysis. Listening taste run the gamut of old rock to rap/hip hop, house/dance, electronica and chill-out.

In Singapore the Shures are about USD480 and i think the ES-2 run about USD750. From what I can gather, both of these headphones are quite musical, but I'm just wondering if the Es-2 are worth the extra money and which sounds better unamped?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Merry Christmas everone!

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Even if they both sounded identical the ES2's would be worth the upgrade for the comfort and flawless fit alone!

If you have never owned IEM's before I would suggest you buy some that you can return to try first, they are not for everyone.

If you know you are an IEM person the ES2 is easily the more "fun" of the two although it's hard to even compare a custom to a universal. If you were to compare sound alone the E500 has a slight edge in the detail dept. but the ES2 wins in all others by a large amrgin. The ES2 has tighter bass with more punch and better extension. The ES2 has a very warm mid range with a forward vocal presentation where the E500 places you several rows back with more of a polite presentation and a slightly larger soundstage.

If you want to get some more info just do some searches on the two and you will probably see which is for you. Pete7 and I have owned both but we both came from the UM2 which we already liked. Once you go custom there is no going back so you may be better off to start with a UM2 or E500 and then go to the ES2 or UE-10 from there... it's the headfi way
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies! Good to know the ES2s are cheaper than i thought!

Seems like the ES2s are warmer sounding, but the E500s have the soundstage I crave! I have used canalphones in the past (Sony Mdr71, i think) but the fit has left alot to be desired and i'm left with either a poor fit, or aching ears canals from trying to get a good seal, that plus the fact that the rubber around the cable has basically disintegrated after 6 months. The Shures sounds like their pretty comfortable with the foamies, although I've never tried foamies myself.

I'm not adverse to getting customs canalphones. I just want something musical, a good fit, that i listen for hours without fatigue and which cables are durable.

wakeride74, I believe the inner tubes of the ES2s are rubber? Are there any durability issues with these, esp if I go running and i pespire? Are yours custom finished e.g with a picture or logo, and if so, how is the finish on your ES2s? Thanks for the reply everyone

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I also have the ES2 and the E500. If you crave soundstage, the E500 does have a wider soundstage, but it's also more laid-back. The ES2 has a more upfront sound, the soundstage is not quite as wide, but it's also fairly big and the overall sound is very engaging.

I disagreet that the ES2 has less detail than the E500. To my ear, the ES2 retreives more inner detail, but because it has a softer top end, a lot of detail is more recessed and is a bit harder to hear. However, tone and texture that are lost on the E500 come out on the ES2.

I think the E500 has a very big edge in the bass department, actually. The ES2's bass extension is noticeably worse, and the E500's deep bass is more thunderous. I'd say that they're close in terms of tightness, though the ES2 has a more pronounced midbass, whereas the E500 is more linear.

I prefer the ES2 on rock by a long, long margin. I also prefer it on some ambient as it has much better representation of vocals. I think the E500 shines on very chilled out ambient material, with a very wide soundfield and tons of tiny samples, and it definitely shines in anything that has a lot of well-produced, powerful bass (a lot of psytrance and the like). The E500's bass is quieter than the ES2, but when there's a lot of it on the recording, especially the deep bass, it comes out and rocks your head.

Honestly, I think the ES2 is in a higher class sonically, pure and simple. It's more refined, airier, with a much better midrange and a lovely musical presentation that still remains quite accurate and fairly neutral. The E500 is more "hi-fi-ish", with it's thunderous deep bass and more emphasized detail and wider soundstage. It impresses at first, but it lacks the refinement or the vivideness or the absolutely lovely tone of the ES2. However, in the bass department, the E500 is king.

The E500 may also be a better purchase than the ES2 since it has resale value, whereas the ES2 does not. Now, the ES2 I think is tops in the canalphone department, though admittedly my opinion is deeply flawed since I haven't heard any other custom canalphones. But, the E500 doesn't dent your wallet by nearly the same amount, and other people can use it too, which is a plus. It's irritating to me to loudly proclaim how great the ES2 is, and not be able to back it up, since no one other than me can use it.

Anyway, hope this helps. My opinion has changed a bit on the ES2 and E500, as is evident from this post. I still use the ES2 all the time, while the E500 sits there ready to be sold, as soon as a few friends come back and have a listen to it first.

[Edit: the inner tubes are of a softer silicone material. I say "softer" instead of "soft" since "soft" they aren't. They're slightly less hard than stainless steel, I suppose, and you can bend them, though I'm not sure you'd want to. Comfort here will come from the quality of the fit, not the softness of the ear piece. However, comfort on the ES2 is miles ahead of the E500, as well it should be. The ES2 is also much easier to put in, whereas the E500 requires a lot of fussing about with tips and positioning.]

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

it definitely shines in anything that has a lot of well-produced, powerful bass (a lot of psytrance and the like). The E500's bass is quieter than the ES2, but when there's a lot of it on the recording, especially the deep bass, it comes out and rocks your head.

I find this very interesting... perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but I thought the only time the E500 bass really shined was when less was going on with the music. It was great with Jazz and even ok with Classical but any time the music ramped up and started getting busy I felt the bass was somewhat lost in the rest of the sound. I found this pretty odd since I felt the E4C did such a great job of maintaining separation; I expected the same if not better from the E500.

Dec 19, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this very interesting... perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but I thought the only time the E500 bass really shined was when less was going on with the music. It was great with Jazz and even ok with Classical but any time the music ramped up and started getting busy I felt the bass was somewhat lost in the rest of the sound. I found this pretty odd since I felt the E4C did such a great job of maintaining separation; I expected the same if not better from the E500.

I think that a lot of this has to do with frequency emphasis. The ES2 has more of a midbass oriented bass presentation, so in music where there is a lot of midbass (bass guitar in rock and metal) bass tends to pop through more. The E500 has more of a deep bass oriented presentation, and when you have a lot of deep bass on the recording (a lot of electronica) it's bass tends to come alive. Bass guitars do sound subdued on it at times, but I don't think this is due to the separation as much as the frequency response.

But, I could be wrong. I'll listen some more.

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies. Just have some more questions:

1. How much more comfortable are the ES2 compared to the E500s? Are they worth the extra dough baring any differences in sound quality? The only exp i have with IEMs is with my Sony's. I found them fiddly to put in and I couldn't keep them in for more then awhile because I'm always aware of them and it gets slighty annoying after awhile.

2. Which of these sounds better straight out of an ipod headphone jack? I probably amp them eventually (i'm waiting on the tomahawk) but probably not for awhile.

If i go with the Es2 I'll spring for the custom artwork too, so that will be another SGD 200 (usd 129) on top of it. Total price is USD 260 more than the E500. I can afford it, but i feel like it's kinda like buying a ferrari after driving a daewoo, without enjoying a porsche. hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back