Shure E500 cables dying... Upgrade, repair, or recable?
Mar 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
My E500's have served me well since 2007, but they are dying now. The cable isn't cracking like other people have experienced. Instead, they are detaching from the driver housings. If I pull the cable back, I can see the bare, frayed wire inside.

I listen to a wide variety of music including trance, pop, classical, and jazz, and I found that the E500's did a good job with all of my music. Also, I found that the E500's are unbeatable in terms of comfort.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. Shure quotes $145 flat fee for repairing them, but that seems high to fix a cable. I did a search and found no options for recabling, but maybe there is someone out there that does them? Finally, I wouldn't mind upgrading at this point. The problem is, I have grown so accustomed to my Shures that I don't want to bounce around looking for a new "ideal" headphone. I was 100% satisfied with the sound and comfort from the Shures, but I would definitely appreciate a more durable 'phone.

If I do upgrade, I want an excellent all-around headphone with good isolation, comfort, and durability.

So, what do you guys think? Should I upgrade, repair, or try to recable my babies?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure quotes $145 flat fee for repairing them

I got my broken Shure SE530s repaired this way and they sent me brand new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back