Shure E5 with Ety conversion cable
May 19, 2004 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

winty

Head-Fier
I currently own the Shure E5 and Etymotic ER4P plus the 4S converter cable, which I run directly from my iRiver iHP140.

Recently, I've been trying the Shure E5s using the cable intended to convert an Etymotic ER4P to an ER4S, and I've had a few interesting results.

When you plug the E5s direct into the iHP140, you will immediately hear loud hissing noise, even when the machine isn't playing. Using the converter cable, you plug the E5s in and there is absolutely no hiss.

When listening to the E5s direct from the player, I would set the volume to about 12 or 13. When using the cable, the signal is attenuated somewhat, and I set the volume to about 22 or so.

With the cable, I seem to lose a little bit of the E5 bass oomph, but gain a lot in detail and ease of listening. The bass is still pretty huge, but the headphone seems much better balanced overall to me.

Again, it's early days, so I'd hate for anyone to spend any money based on my impressions yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this.

May 19, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 8
When I had the E5, I tried this and didn't like the results. It does remove the hiss but they're already lacking in highs and I thought the cable reduced them even more. After going through all the tips, both ety and shure, the coverter cable was my last hope for trying to like the shures. To my disappointment, they sounded worse.

May 19, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 8
To my ears, the highs don't seem attenuated any further with the conversion cable. I'm not disputing what your experiences are, but my own experience seems different.

At the moment, I find them a much better listen like this.

May 19, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 8
The conversion cable helps a lot with the background noise. Unfortunately, I also hear a roll off of the highs when I use the cable.
eek.gif

May 20, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Perhaps I have to accept that the frequency response of my ears has changed. I suppose I AM getting old
smily_headphones1.gif
It's very strange though, considering my original complaint was far too much bass, and virtually no highs. Maybe I'm just into upper-mids or something
biggrin.gif

Even so, I'm finding I can now listen to (for example) female vocal tracks on the E5s now, which I couldn't stand before.

May 20, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 8
The Shure attenuator (sold separately at Shure.com for about $10 and comes with E5C) provides approximately the same results you describe with the Ety converter cable. I tried the ety converter cable with the E5 and wasn't impressed. I have the E5C and use the attenuator with my laptop or PC soundcard to get rid of the hiss. Some roll off in highs is noticeable but if the choice is slightly rolled off highs vs no music, I'll go for music everytime. There is no need to use the attenuator with my iPod and this is my main source with the E5C and sounds better than my laptop and PC (old aureal soundcard so not a good source comparison).

If anyone else has similar needs or wants similar results, the Shure attenuator is less expensive than the ety cable and also has a dial adjustment for (I assume) varying the in-line resistance it adds so you can balance the volume on your source such that hiss is removed or greatly minimized and dial in the volume on the attenuator for a good balance that varies with source.

No matter how you look at it there is a bit of a trade off with sound but it can make an otherwise unusable source once again usable with the E5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back