Shure E5 vs IE8. Especially SoundStage.
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

raptor18

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'd like to know if someone could compare the Shure E5c with the Sennheiser IE8. I have the Shure E5 and would like new IEM's
smily_headphones1.gif

How is the soundstage in the IE8 compared to the E5?

I just want to add that i've asked this question in the ie8 appreciation thread but have not received any replays. That is why i started this thread, to expose this question a bit more.

Raptor

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Based on what i've read here the IE 8 has the best soundstaging of all the other high-end universal IEMs (triple.fi, westone 3, se530). Cannot really comment based on experience as I do not even own one of them
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. I still however only have the E5 and not the SE530
frown.gif

Raptor

Forgive the masses here, they probably thought that being grouped with W3 and IE8, that they're the E500's/SE530's. And owners of the E5c's are pretty rare in this forum, IIRC, and are rarely talked about.

If they're anything like the SE420's I've tried in the past (and specs wise, they should be), then the W3 and IE8's would definitely have superior soundstage. You'll also find the two to be much more exciting and extending on both ends of the frequency.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I have the SE530 and the IE8. If the E5 sounds anything like the SE530, the IE8 would be a far better choice for soundstage. Out of all my iem's, the IE8 has the best soundstage by a wide margin.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 13
In terms of soundstage size, IE8 will be much better. In terms of imaging, I think IE8 will also be better, but probably not by much. In terms of imaging (accuracy of instrument placement in the soundstage) I prefer Shure SE530 and Westone 3 to IE8. With IE8 imaging is a bit blurry by comparison IMO.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 13
I have found the imaging of the E5 good, but moving to the SE530 to be more focused/coherent, probably due to a better crossover circuit and improved driver matching.

That said, I have found the Monster Turbines (I know, follow my detour for a moment) to have very good imaging, especially at the price. I believe this is due to (again) a more phase-coherent image presented by a single dynamic driver instead of using a crossover with multiple balanced armatures. Therefore, I believe that the IE8 will have an improved soundstage relative to the E5 you are used to today.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 13
I heard the IE8 has one of the best soundstages around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back