Shure E5 s E4
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

akasan

Head-Fier
Just got a new job that pays a little bit more than I am used to and thinking about shure e5's as my reward. I have the E4's. Is there a vast distance in the sound quality of these two (vast enough to justify the vast difference in price?)

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 8
As a non-expert...

I tried the Shure E4s out at a local store and ended up buying used E5's. The E5 definitely felt very different to me -- I was told that this was because of the dual drivers. It was almost disorienting for me at first but it definitely felt like there was a lot more there. So anyway, I think they are rather different headphones, although some people seem to think that the E5 overemphasizes the bass.

Look for used E5s on the For Sale forum.

I think James was looking for "diminishing returns." It is quite possible that if you are looking to spend some money, you might be better off with an amp, interconnect, new iPod, (iMod!) or whathaveyou.

-- David

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used all three I prefer as follow: E500>E4>E5

My experience too. I would definitely go with the e500s, but if you just want way more bass and don't want the e500s, get the e5s; but, the e4s are better overall than the e5s to my ears (but again, the e5s have a lot more bass).

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I have both and use both regularly. Mainstay for me is the E5, hands down. I actually find them to be more comfortable with the memory wire, with the E4 tending to slip out too often and losing seal.

SQ is also a no-brainer (for my tastes anyway). E5s are so much fuller and just plain fun, not tending toward thin or sibilant sound. E4s sometimes get on my nerves because of this. I can send the super-muscular bass-heavy signal of my iAudio U2 into my E4s and shore 'em up a bit, but they'll still never be just as doggone fun to listen to as my E5s. I end up experimenting with this EQ or that player, but always return the my E5s when I want to just listen and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back