Shure E5 + PPA = Hiss!!
Feb 3, 2004 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nauqneyugn

100+ Head-Fier
Well my Shure E5s came today and initial impressions are very good (my previous cans were Ety ER4s). The Shures fit my preferences very well. Anyways they are being amped from my PPA (powered by an Elpac)...and it hisses like no other. Straight from my source (which is a modded Audigy2, don't be hating), the Shures are dead quiet. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the hiss?

Feb 3, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 9
It's most likely the Elpac. Tangent has a nice PPA/PIMETA power supply in the making called TEPS (Tangent's Easy Power Supply). There are a few threads in the DIY forum about it. You might want to contact Tangent to ask for details.

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 9
mine is dead quiet .... ive heard them with ety's and nothing .... make sure its grounded correctly ... but then i have blackgates an the whole bit ... so dunno ... so many ppa's manufacturers out there ... and everyone has their own way of building it.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 9
Swap in some different op amps.

Feb 4, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't rule out the ridiculous sensitivity of the e5s. I get a slight hiss from my Shure's when connected to my XP-7 with any source (iPod, iHP-120, computer, etc.). My e5s are also silent when coming directly from the source.

If it means anything, the XP-7 is running off 9Vs and not a 120V source.

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 9
E5s will hiss like nothing else if you're not careful. Swap out the power supply first, make sure the amp is well shielded, the gain is down, you're using good shielded interconnects, etc.

But above all use a quiet power supply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back