Shure E5 and Etymotic ER-4P /S - which eartips can be used by both?
Nov 18, 2003 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
hey again, friends!
i know the tri-flanged eartips can be used by both.. anything else?

for now, all i know that can be used with at least one of them is:
1.Etymotic's foamies
2.Shure's foamies
3.Shure's silicons
4.Etymotic's and Shure's tri flanged (the same tips exactly)

anything else? something from another manufacturer maybe?
thank you!

Nov 18, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Are the tri-flange tips completely identitical ? If so they are probably manufactured by the same company ?

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Ety Foamies -> E5: Not very nice glaring sound. Best isolation.
Shure Foamies > ER-4P: Very strange fit.
Shure Silicon (no triple flange) -> ER-4P: EX70 like fit, not bad sounding but slightly distant... and not very secure fitting.
The Ety and Shure triple flange tips are the same at the flanges but different lengths at the stalks. The Etys are cut right up to the flanges but the Shures have more stalk which can be cut (I cut one pair which for me gives better results).

Penbat, I would bet reasonable odds that the transducers are supplied by the same company, as it much of the fitting hardware. The Ety and the E5 have the same plug design (although different lengths) too.

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 10
I wouldn't go as far as saying the transducers are from the same company... That's like saying Grados and Sennheiser's drivers come from the same company... I don't think you can make that supposition (unless you know something that we don't.. hehehe). It's a possiblity, but it's hard to say.

However, the size of the stem on these type of in-ear monitors are pretty industry standard... Ety's actually a little different than most others (they have a "ridge" at the end of the stem, most other in-ears has a straight stem, no ridges). Most universal in-ear personal monitors ("universal", meaning they don't have a custom fit) has stem sizes that's approximately the same.

Nov 18, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman

Shure Foamies > ER-4P: Very strange fit.

comments about sound?

Nov 18, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Nope, you're not missing something, I'm wondering exactly the same thing...

Bangra, did you have some type of epiphany?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 10
i thought adding this:

Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Sound of the E5 foamies on the ER-4P? Not terribly different to the triple flanges, and less safe feeling. It just feels as though it will just slide very deep inside the ear. I thought it a waste of time so that's why I didn't mention it much... Although if the ER-4P foamies irritate you like they do me, the E5 foamies are just a tiny bit more bearable, probably because there's less of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back