Shure E4's
Jul 5, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 35
I got a Sony NW-HD1 and the E4s.
perfect match!; musical and I can listen to it for hours without fatigue.

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 35
Just weighing in here.

I wrestled with that decision some months ago. I broke down and bought them and have stayed away from this forum. What a wonderful time it has been. I love the way these things sound. I'm using the Comply tips and man are they comfy. I'm by no stretch of the imagination an audiophile but I know what I like. These are the best IEM's i've ever owned. The sound is so clear. All the crap i've owned in the past, with the volume up, u hear all sorts of distortions and cracks and junk. These things will blow your ear drums before they even flinch. I find myself listening to my music at lower volumes than I used to because of the clarity and crispness of the sound. In the long run, I think it is better for my hearing.

Anyway, get these. You won't be dissappointed. Unless you like bass that shakes your molars loose. These won't give you that kind of punch. They are very balanced.

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I got a Sony NW-HD1 and the E4s.
perfect match!; musical and I can listen to it for hours without fatigue.

hey thanks , do you use any of the Graphic Equaliser settings at all ? think im going to order them although on teh shop im going to get them from they now call them E4 N's for some reason , is there a difference ? and thanks guys
600smile.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #21 of 35
So is there a difference between the e4 and e4c?

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 35
What strikes me the most by Shure E4 is the way it reproduces piano and female vocal is so sweet. I sometimes still hope I have it around. I sold it because I upgraded to UE10 Pro, and find myself basically listening to an upgraded version of E4, but the female vocal is still a bit less interesting than the E4.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 35
sounding pretty good so far i mainly listen to metal but i also love classical and instrumental music so im wanting a pair that can perform all round and these seem like the ones also im not wanting to spend anymore than the price of the E4's for in ears just yet

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter433
hey thanks , do you use any of the Graphic Equaliser settings at all ? think im going to order them although on teh shop im going to get them from they now call them E4 N's for some reason , is there a difference ? and thanks guys
600smile.gif

No, I use them flat (in contrast to the E3, that really need EQ-ing.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
No, I use them flat (in contrast to the E3, that really need EQ-ing.

the e3's don't need it but benefit alot from a good eq imo.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 35
i use my e4c straight out of the headout on my hd5 with no eq. its the best i have ever had on a hdd dap, allmost rivals my shuffle!

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
The Monkey's E4 Likes:

- Crystalline highs and mids
- Excellent detail
- Fast and agile
- Tight, controlled bass
- Comfortable
- Discrete
- Excellent build quality

The Monkey's E4 dislikes:

- Needs an amp to improve the bass extension
- Slightly lean sounding
- Narrow soundstage
- Cord is not detachable
- Lousy synergy with some ipod Gs (esp. 3G)

I only agree with some of the above. I have put in bold those comments that I don't really agree with.

Compared to the ER4S, K701 and HD650, the E4c lacks a lot of detail and refinement. The sound just isn't accurate enough. I'm surprised that you say that they have excellent detail considering you have a pair of UE10Pro! Don't get me wrong, these are a pair of excellent earphones, but given the choice, I would get both the ER4S and E4c. The ER4S are just about superior, soundwise, in every way apart from sounding thinner and having a slightly anaemic bass response/quantity. The E4c are nicer looking and have quite a bit better ergonomics. Build quality is solid and high quality materials used. The E4c are good if you haven't just listened to the same track on a higher end piece of equipment. If you strive for accurate reproduction of music, then the E4c will dissappoint. If you're after for the general "experience", love rich mids (definitely not lean sounding) and good looks, then the E4c will be right up your alley. Otherwise, the ER4S is a very good alternative. I haven't tried the Super.fi 5Pro, but I'm sure Monkey can shed some light on those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back