Shure E4's vs E2's E3's?
May 22, 2005 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theBishop

New Head-Fier
I have E2's right now. When ever i use them, i can't help but feel like they are clunkier than the E3's and the new (delicious-looking) E4's. I like the way they sound, but i hate the hard silicone sleeves, and i feel like the foamies don't sound quite as dynamic.

I'm thinking about selling the E2's, but i've heard from a lot of people that the E3's have less bass than the E2's and a lot of people seem to prefer the E2's despite the comfort issues.

I was hoping the E4's brought the bass of the E2's while fixing the comfort problems, but based on some impressions on this board, it sounds like the bass isn't notably improved.

Can someone tell me if its worth the extra $100, should i still with the E2's? Should i get E3's instead?

I use the E2's for a lot of things, from iPod (indie rock,hardcore, "lap-pop" mostly), to PSP games, to Xbox Halo 2 plugged into my shelf system. Especially for gaming, the bass is pretty important.

Also, I saw Shure sells soft-sleeves for the E2's. Will those cure all my ailments?

May 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Since you are happy with the sound, seems no sense in replacing the entire thing if it is only the tip that is a problem.
I'd give the Soft Sleeves a try, they are far more comfy.

edit: if you contact Shure Customer Service they may send you a complimentary pair to try

May 22, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 4
I've got the E2s and E3s. The E3s can sound as full as the E2 but clearer, providing your player has a good equaliser.
In general: up the bass, the lowmids, and the highest freqs. Without eq they sound very midhighforward, but they respond terrific to a good eq.

May 22, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Get the E4. When I auditioned them, they sounded better than the E2 by a pretty large margin. Much more detailed with bass that was tighter but at least as impactful. Of course, if you can spring for the $350 it would cost to get your hands on an E5, go for it!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back