Shure E4's versus Etymotic ER-4P's... Any ideas?
May 25, 2005 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

firefox360

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, first time poster here. I have a Sony MZ-N510 Type-S MiniDisc player, and I think I'm about to be sorry for my wallet...
plainface.gif

I recently visited EarphoneSolutions and HeadRoom. ES has an excellent deal on the Shure's while HR has the best deal with the ER-4P's. They both seem to be excellent, but what I'de like to know is what are the difference between them? I'm not sure if they're in the same league, but they seem to be in the same price range... For the curious, who doesn't want to visit the sites here are the prices:

Earphone Solutions
Shure E4 @ $198.00 - $101.00 Discount

HeadRoom
Etymotic ER-4P @ $219.00 - $111.00 Discount

They both seem to be excellent deals, so I'de like to know which one is more worth it. I think I might have the budget to swallow one of these...
blink.gif

So I'de like to know what all you Head-Fi geeks have to say about these two canalphones...
icon10.gif

P.S. I'm not quite sure but I think my MD player can drive these to adequately if not perfect. And I seem to be leaning more and more towards the Shure's as they seem a bit more comfortable, durable, and not to mention less expensive...

May 25, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 5
i am thinking about getting either of those two. but i may wait until i read some reviews about the super.fi. 5pro's. shouldn't they be much better for the price having two drivers?

May 25, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 5
A search will reveal the Head-fi version of War & Peace on this issue. However, IMO Etymotics needs to re-engineer their canalphones. The market is passing them by. At this point my recommendation would be go for the Shures.

May 25, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 5
I own both and posted an initial comparison in the E4 impressions thread...

To my ears, the ER4p/s has a bit more detail, tighter bass (which needs significant EQ, ~8 db to match the E4s), a brilliant but sometimes caustic treble, and a drier but maybe more 3d (ie. more instrument separation) - sound. The Shures have a nice balanced sound, really dig the mids. I'm loving the Shures for rock... listening to stuff like Appetite for Destruction just doesn't seem right with the Etys. But the Etys are amazing with fast highly detail oriented music, prog rock, techno. I've only had the Shures for a couple days so may change with burn-in, some have said.

FWIW my setup is using PC as source, EMU 0404->PortaphileV2->E4/ER4s.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but so far it seems I'd be happier overall with the Shures. I spent the whole day listening to them without fatigue, with the Etys I take breaks every hour or so. Plus I'm finding the Shures to be more musically involving.

May 25, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Hi, first time poster here. I have a Sony MZ-N510 Type-S MiniDisc player, and I think I'm about to be sorry for my wallet...
plainface.gif

I recently visited EarphoneSolutions and HeadRoom. ES has an excellent deal on the Shure's while HR has the best deal with the ER-4P's. They both seem to be excellent, but what I'de like to know is what are the difference between them? I'm not sure if they're in the same league, but they seem to be in the same price range... For the curious, who doesn't want to visit the sites here are the prices:

Earphone Solutions
Shure E4 @ $198.00 - $101.00 Discount

HeadRoom
Etymotic ER-4P @ $219.00 - $111.00 Discount

They both seem to be excellent deals, so I'de like to know which one is more worth it. I think I might have the budget to swallow one of these...
blink.gif

So I'de like to know what all you Head-Fi geeks have to say about these two canalphones...
icon10.gif

P.S. I'm not quite sure but I think my MD player can drive these to adequately if not perfect. And I seem to be leaning more and more towards the Shure's as they seem a bit more comfortable, durable, and not to mention less expensive...

I prefer the E3s to the ER4 because it maintains a clean detailed sound, and allows me to enjoy the music. The ER4 are more detailed however. The E3s sound full and present, compared to the Er4 which I find to sound extremely detailed, though thin and boring. I expect the E4c would be a much better choice. From what I have read it seems these have the things I like of both the shures and the etys (The e3s lush lively midrange, and full sound, and the Etys detail). The Superfis look really nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back