Shure E4's or ??? with X5L & SuperMacro-IV ???
Jun 1, 2006 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ArchiMark

Head-Fier
Greetings,

Well...been thinking seriously about upgrading to some good phones to go with my X5L 30GB and one of Xin's new SuperMacro-IV headphone amps that I ordered...

Currently, using some Sennheiser MX550's...

As for music, I listen to an extremely wide variety of music; Jazz (all kinds, modern, Brazilian, standards), Rock (60's - current), Electronic (not a lot..but some), and some Classical....

In my younger days, I studied music and played in some bands; jazz and rock, so have pretty good ear for what music/instruments/vocals should sound like too....

Had thought about Sennheiser CX300 or Audio-Technica Ck7 but wonder about Shure E4/E5, etc or other higher end units...although don't want to spend more than about $200 hopefully, but could go a bit higher if necessary..

My other key issue is that I want to be able to use them not only at desk/home but on my daily walks (30-45 minutes). So need something that won't make me crazy from other audio sounds...

Thanks for any suggestions!

confused.gif

Mark

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 21
I would look for a nice pair of used Shure E5c's. With the new E500's coming out, I'm sure they will be available for less than $200 and they sound great.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for your suggestion, johnnylexus!

How would you compare the E5 vs E4? Is there much difference?

Also, do you think the E500 is/will be much better than the E5? And much more expensive?

Thanks,

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
I would look for a nice pair of used Shure E5c's. With the new E500's coming out, I'm sure they will be available for less than $200 and they sound great.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Thanks for your suggestion, johnnylexus!

How would you compare the E5 vs E4? Is there much difference?

Also, do you think the E500 is/will be much better than the E5? And much more expensive?

Thanks,

Mark

The E5 is a dual driver IEM, while the E4 is only single. The second driver in the E5 is used for bass, giving it a UM2/Super.fi 5 sound. Some people like the more "whole" sound of the added bass, some people think it's too muffled. The E500 is apparently supposed to be a lot more balanced than the current line of dual driver IEMs.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 21
My thoughts exactly.

I found that the UM2 and the E5 (Both of which sound very similar, the difference lies in the bass, which I think the E5 is slightly tighter) has a bit too much of a bass bias, hence I prefer the E4 over them. Never heard the SuperFi 5
Pro before however.

The extra bass should do them good for certain genres of music though.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus

Whoa you are serious? $200 for the e5c I guess imma have to wait then. I was planing to get the e4c for about $180 but if the e5c lowers that much then I dunno. I hear a lot of good things about the e4c mainly because its a good value. I don't hear too many good things about the e5c cause people say its not a good value. With this price drop, will it be worth it to get the e5c over the e4c?

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for explaining the differences in models, Mrvile! Very helpful.....

Any idea how much E500 might cost?? I assume that they'll be more than E5's??....

Wonder if at this point it might be worth waiting to see how the E500's perform and if nothing else as johnnylexus said, maybe it will lower the price on lesser models??

Thanks,

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
The E5 is a dual driver IEM, while the E4 is only single. The second driver in the E5 is used for bass, giving it a UM2/Super.fi 5 sound. Some people like the more "whole" sound of the added bass, some people think it's too muffled. The E500 is apparently supposed to be a lot more balanced than the current line of dual driver IEMs.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 21
Hey, Zephyron, thanks as always for your comments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron
My thoughts exactly.

I found that the UM2 and the E5 (Both of which sound very similar, the difference lies in the bass, which I think the E5 is slightly tighter) has a bit too much of a bass bias, hence I prefer the E4 over them. Never heard the SuperFi 5 Pro before however.

The extra bass should do them good for certain genres of music though.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks to all for all the help and advice!

Well, I ordered the E4c today after lots of agonizing over this decision...based upon all the input here and on other forum, I think I made a good choice.....guess I'll know for sure in a week....
rolleyes.gif

Time to get rid of all my earwax, right??....

biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Mark

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Thanks for your input, mrarroyo!

What do you love about your ER4S?

Thanks,

Mark

Detail, clarity, separation, and sound isolation.

When paired with the Supermacro I can engage the bass boost switch, great match.

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 21
Which SuperMacro do you have, mrarroyo? So sounds like it really makes a difference??

I ordered the new SuperMacro-IV about 3 weeks ago, right after Xin announced it....hope to see it soon!

biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Detail, clarity, separation, and sound isolation.

When paired with the Supermacro I can engage the bass boost switch, great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back