Shure E4s - bass?
Oct 29, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Honus

100+ Head-Fier
I have the E2Cs. I would like to move up to the E4s. I've read threads here regarding the lack of bass in the E4s. Is the E4 similar to the E2C in terms of bass?

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 20
i've never heard the e2's, but from what i've read, not really. The bass on the e4 is much more tighter and accurate. It should be an almost night and day difference I think.

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 20
E4c is NOT lack of bass. E4c is very sensitive to amps, and straight out of a bass rolled off iPod, e4c is said to be lack of bass. However, in fact, it is the iPod. The recent iPod like iPod Nano, shuffle, and the video iPod suffer less from this problem. Therefore, if you are planning to use e4c on any other ipod without any external amp, you WILL feel lack of bass.

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 20
With a decent player, you'll get really low and accurate bass out of the E4. Quantity is perfect for me, but bassheads will be a little disappointed. It's neutral down to the bottom.

-Taurui

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 20
I've been using the Shure E4 with a Sharp MD unit, the MT-831. The bass is wonderful.......full, tight, and actually quite impressive. This is in direct contrast to the E4 straight out of an iPod or Shuffle.
So, I think Taurui is correct in his assertion that, "With a decent player, you'll get really low and accurate bass out of the E4."
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 20
When I tried out a pair of E4c's on my Ipaq 4150 the bass was deffo there - on some tracks there was more bass than my EX71s and on other tracks less... But I didnt buy them because the E4c has a cold sound that sometimes is a bit light waight.

I have UM2 now.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 20
Honestly, I am AMAZED with the amount of bass that the E4 puts out when properly amped. During the classic bass test of the 1812 Overture with real cannons, it literally has a visceral impact in my head.

Obviously not like the visceral impact my towers with dual 10" woofers in them has, but I was amazed.

And they can take some abuse too. I accidently put 9 volts across one of them and still worked great, and I didn't notice until it got hot in my ear, (note this is NOT recommended of course. Do not try this at home).

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honus
I have the E2Cs. I would like to move up to the E4s. I've read threads here regarding the lack of bass in the E4s. Is the E4 similar to the E2C in terms of bass?

Nope. Totally different. Not as much and not as low. That was the first thing I noticed when I got my E4. For a while I thought about going to E5c as it's more like E4+e2c (ie. bass and highs, but not as high as E4). Eventually I stayed with my E4. Though they are not that much bass as E2c, they do have it and in general they are very balanced and enjoyable. And I think I used to be mild bass head...

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
If someone describes a headphone as having "tight" bass that means it doesn't have enough bass.

Do you think its a typo and meant to say 'light'?
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 20
How about bass responce of the Shure E4 compared to Ety ER6i. Will the E4 do as well with the low end?

Thanks all - I hope I can make a decision soon. I am also considering the UE 5pros

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honus
How about bass responce of the Shure E4 compared to Ety ER6i. Will the E4 do as well with the low end?

Thanks all - I hope I can make a decision soon. I am also considering the UE 5pros

To my ears, the E4 surpasses the ER6i in bass response, and the UE 5Pros easily surpass both, particularly straight out of an iPod.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back