Shure E4g vs UE Super.fi 5 Pro
Apr 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mucknuggle

New Head-Fier
A friend of mine recommended that I check out this site for advice on my upcoming headphone purchase. I just read Jasper's comparison of a bunch of IEMs, and it didn't really help me. I will be using my IEMs with an iPod Video and with my home PC. I have no amp or other audio equipment and when it comes to this kind of stuff I know absolutely nothing. Basically I'm wondering which of these IEMs would be a better purchase for me?

I listen mostly to soul, R&B and hip hop, but I've recently started getting into IDM and ambient electronic music. I listen to some rock, pop and metal. Also, I listen to a fair bit of videogame original sound tracks and orchestral arrangments of videogame music. All of my music is from mp3 source - usually high quality VBR. I'll be listening to this stuff on the bus, the train, in the library at McGill university and in my room at home.

I've heard that the UE set has better bass, so I'm leaning towards that one, but the Shure set apparently has more balanced sound and this is appealing to me because of how much videogame music I listen to.

One last thing - what's a good place to buy from for a Canadian? Almost all of the ebay.ca auctions look like scams, but I don't know of any other place to purchase these IEMs.

Thanks for any help.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 31
In my total honest opinion, UE is the way to go for you. 5 Pro was made to be unamped, yet has plenty of hard-hitting bass sexy mids, and really good highs. This is my kind of sound sig for playing games like CS:S or Oblivion.

Shure E4(g) has one fine-tuned port, unlike the 5 Pro , which has dual-drivers. E4's bass is "not there" enough for many without the need for an amp. E4(g) has extraordinary treble however.

Overall, the 5 Pro's sound sig fits your bill for sure; I cannot say how much you will enjoy them. I'll bet the next person's life who posts below me that you will be satisfied with them.
icon10.gif

Heehee, now nobody will want to post here.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 31
I recently ordered the Super.fi 5 Pro from www.earphonesolutions.com and they are shipping it to me in Canada for 19.99 USD Global priority mail.

In total it cost me $215 USD, and I'm hoping there won't be customs charges. On their site earphone solutions says they are not aware of people having to pay customs on their shipments but we'll see.

Reasons I got the UE's rather than the Shure's: several websites put the UE's above the Shures in terms of sound (but thats subjective), replaceable cable (my Shure E2C cable developed many cracks after just a few months use), 2 year warranty.

The Shures are great too though I'm shure
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 31
I also had both and opted to stay with the Shure.

To the original poster, the bass issue with the Shure E4c and the iPod Video is less of an issue. The Video improved on bass performance than the prior generations.

Still, they do sound different and you need to ask yourself what you prefer. Do you prefer a big thick bass sound (super.fi) or do you prefer nice crisp clarity (E4c)? IMHO the E4c is the clearly technically superior IEM. But it is a thinner, more treble emphasized sound. If you need your bass the super.fi is the way to go.

Since you're a newbie, I'd recommend getting the E4c from some place with a good 30 day return policy. Give it the full 30 days. The first few weeks you'll be busy getting used to them, finding a good fit, etc. You probably will wonder where the heck the bass is. But keep with it, try and find it. If you don't find it, or really believe the sound isn't for you, return it for the super.fi.

Oh to be clear, there are certainly people who prefer the super.fi and like it better. And these are people with lots of listening experience and good ears. There isn't a right answer to this. It really depends entirely on what fits you. And only meaningfully giving them a try is the only way to find out.

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 31
Shure E4g = $299

Super.fi 5 pro = $156

I personally own Shure E4c. Great earbuds and even better customer service when I had to RMA them. But I was able to buy them when they first came out at $198. Looking at it now, almost double the price of the super.fi 5 pro. Assuming the super.fi 5 pro gives up to or equal the performace of he shure E4g, I say go for the Super.fi 5 pro.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bandit390
Shure E4g = $299

Super.fi 5 pro = $156

I personally own Shure E4c. Great earbuds and even better customer service when I had to RMA them. But I was able to buy them when they first came out at $198. Looking at it now, almost double the price of the super.fi 5 pro. Assuming the super.fi 5 pro gives up to or equal the performace of he shure E4g, I say go for the Super.fi 5 pro.

Um... you can still get the Shure E4s for $200ish if you look them up.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 31
I can get the E4G for less than the Super.fi 5 pro at the site mentioned above. I'm pretty sure that I'll be going with the Shure set now. Is it recommended that I purchase additional foam tips or do one of the other tips give better sound quality?

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
Um... you can still get the Shure E4s for $200ish if you look them up.

I did, but I would like to know where you can get them for 200ish. That is from a known dealer

http://www.smarter.com/sm-shure-e4c-..._pi-57290.html

Most show 299$. The ones that don't have horrible reviews. Even earphone solutions.com show 299$

Anyways, like the guy said earlier. You could always buy from a store that has a 30day return policy and buy both, then return the one you don't want.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bandit390
I did, but I would like to know where you can get them for 200ish. That is from a known dealer

http://www.smarter.com/sm-shure-e4c-..._pi-57290.html

Most show 299$. The ones that don't have horrible reviews. Even earphone solutions.com show 299$

Anyways, like the guy said earlier. You could always buy from a store that has a 30day return policy and buy both, then return the one you don't want.

I believe earphonesolutions can do a price match. Not to mention, earphonesolutions is not allowed to display the price they are offering on the website. I know a lot of people on this forum bought their E4s for around $200.

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
Any particular reason why you want the E4g and not the E4 or E4c? The only difference is the way they look and the cable length.

Cable length would be the reason. The E4c cable seems rather long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back