Shure E4c vs UE Super.fi 5 Pros (no amp, on the go, with rock)?
Jun 15, 2006 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

burkerg

New Head-Fier
Sorry for the long title. I've been searching this forum for hours and have found an exhausting number of threads on the "E4c vs SF5P" issue. Just wanted to specify that my question has some very explicit parameters. On to the questions...

I'm planning to purchase one of these sets of IEM's in the next week or so. I primarily listen to hard rock (Nine Inch Nails, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nirvana, Lacuna Coil, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.), but I have very ecclectic tastes (Norah Jones, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Miles Davis, Stevie Ray Vauhan, John Coltrane, and many others).

I'd like some advice as to which one would do best with the hard rock stuff but will handle other "lighter" music admirably. I'm most concerned about the Nine Inch Nails stuff, which has tremendous high-end that can get seriously compressed and become very fatiguing on some equipment. I definitely don't want a "bright" high-end, but I do want detail. Also, I prefer refined, controlled, musical bass as opposed to loud, boomy bass.

I'll be using these primarily on the go, since I have a very high-end HT setup at home. They'll be used with a video iPod without an amp. I've read that an amp is desired to really bring the E4c's to life, so that's a concern. Please advise. Also, point me to others I should consider. Thanks for your time and help!

Rob

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Your comments of...

" I definitely don't want a "bright" high-end, but I do want detail. Also, I prefer refined, controlled, musical bass as opposed to loud, boomy bass"

...make me vote E4. They don't need an amp to sound great but it never hurts...an inexpensive PA2v2 ($60) Will do the trick if you want them to be just a bit more dynamic and bassy.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 7
well, i'll go E4. E4 bass is not that tiny as most had decribe. it consider decent. not too recess or over. SF5 bass is strong. but somehow affect the lower mid sound

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 7
burkerg-
My situation is similar to yours, so I'm interested to hear which is better. Also, I've heard that the E4's cannot compare with the two-driver design of the UE Super.fi 5's. Is this true?

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 7
IF isolation is any consideration, public commute etc.. from my personal experience, Shure's are way better. I found the isolation of Super fi's lacking. Besides, super fi pro's are huge and really stick out of the ear. It's a wierd feeling...

I would say get both from a store with a good return policy and keep the one you like.

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 7
I have very similar music tastes to your own, and have the UE5 pros with a 5g Video IPOD. I could not be happier. I also have a pair of Shure E4's and gave those to my teenage son.. no comparrison for driving the rock straight from an IPOD, the UEs are awesome.

I also dont agree with the E4's having better isolation. To me it was just the opposite, the world around me is transparent when I get the foams in there snug and I can wear them all day, with the memory wire to hold them in place, they are very secure. They do stick out a bit, but I dont mind folks knowing I have UE's and in fact they do notice and dont start talking to you without a hand wave or something to let you know they have something to say.

You really cant go too far wrong either way, I like the bass and mid/high signature the 5pros have

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by burkerg
Also, point me to others I should consider. Thanks for your time and help!

Rob

mmm, Ety ER-6i, Altec IM716. Ety ER-4P, Westone UM-2

Kinda depends on what fits/seals, where you live, what's available at a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back