Shure E4C vs. UE super.fi 5 pro vs. UE fi 5 eb
Oct 3, 2007 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rman3008

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new set of pretty-good quality earbuds and I think I've narrowed it down to the three models (Shure E4C vs. UE super.fi 5 pro vs. UE fi 5 eb).

I'm coming from the cx 300 which I enjoy quite a bit, and yes, I do love bass, but I do put treble booster on my iPod 5G so something with a bit more treble would also be nice.

I'm looking for a player with a nice warm sound with a decent treble. I listen mostly to alternative rock and pop rock (fav. bands: Modest Mouse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Coldplay).

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rman3008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for a new set of pretty-good quality earbuds and I think I've narrowed it down to the three models (Shure E4C vs. UE super.fi 5 pro vs. UE fi 5 eb).

I'm coming from the cx 300 which I enjoy quite a bit, and yes, I do love bass, but I do put treble booster on my iPod 5G so something with a bit more treble would also be nice.

I'm looking for a player with a nice warm sound with a decent treble. I listen mostly to alternative rock and pop rock (fav. bands: Modest Mouse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Coldplay).

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Even though you said you want bass, I say Super.fi 5 Pro's, since you said you want treble too.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 9
definitely 5pros of those choices you listed. The only issues I've noticed with the 5pros is when playing classical music, but looking at your music choices it shouldn't be a problem for you

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the E4C and the Super.Fis. While the Shures have more clarity in the mids the UE's have an altogether more fun sound, stronger punchier bass, unamped. That's not to say the Shures aren't any good, they're are on the faves here on head.fi, but basing on your likes, the UEs would be more suitable.

However, the E4's are also a lot more comfortable than the SFP's, which I suggest you try on before buying, as various forum members (including me) have had some issues with fitting them comfortably.

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 9
a comment about fitting: go to local places and try all three if you can

my local guitar center had the EBs and 5pros (this was before triple fi existed) and I tried both. Initially I had trouble fitting (even after doing it the "right" way). For me, using foamies took about 10 seconds total for both ears. This was actually easier to me than my old e3c's which I struggled with since they were small enough to fall out of my ear.

Side question: What national chains have shure/UE/audiophile headphones available for trial? All I could find in maryland/DC area thus far is a Guitar Center.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelusjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3, 5 Pros FTW!

x4

I probably wouldn't call any IEM "warm" when plugged into an iPod, but the UE's are balanced and detailed. I definitely would never add treble to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back