Shure E4c vs. Etymotic ER-4P vs. UE Super.fi 5
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

d4r7h3v1l

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for my first pair of somewhat good canalphones. I am happy with my Sennheiser PX100 phones, but I want something that is portable and has better (well, existent) sound isolation. These three models are similar in price, and there seems to be a lot of contention as to which is the superior model. Online reviews are of no help because they are all about which is best "for the money," but this is now immaterial because they cost the same.

So I am asking: which is the best of the three independent of price.

Thanks Head-Fi!

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 28
Aug 27, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 28
Hmm, well they are indeed considered relatively in the same league as each other, but as to which one is the best is subjective as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. It would mostly boil down to what kind of music you primarily listen to. I was once in the same boat as you and chose the e4c as it seemed to satisfy my needs more than the others. From what I understand, the Super.fi's have the biggest bass of all 3, more suitable for electronica and hip hop and tend to stick out a fair bit when inserted. The Shure e4c's excel in their mid range with a tighter bass, more suitable for rock/metal, and pop. They are quite comfortable and have the least microphonics of the lot. The Etymotics are known to have unrivaled highs and good clarity but a less prominent bass pressence than the other 2, making them geared moreso towards classical and jazz. However, they are known to have some comfort issues and suffer largely from microphonics. All 3 have a fair level of isolation which will vary depending on which sleeves you choose to use.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 28
what kind of music you like to listen?

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by d4r7h3v1l /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to rock: alternative, progressive, indie, and classic.

apart from classical music id say the super fi 5 will give u the best sound for your prefered music,just based on that extra driver which gives you great bass, at times can see a bit boomy but its there and thats what the e4c lack.

basically the e4c have great highs and mids but its knocked out by the er4p on them and both are bashed on the lows by the super fi 5,it all depends on your sound preference,if you like warm strong impactful sound its the super fi,if you like bright but accurate and powerful sound the er4p are for you,if you like more flat sound then the e4c are your earphones,its all subjective

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 28
imho, er4 should sound nice and accurate,

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuheng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imho, er4 should sound nice and accurate,

but what in your opinion is the best for his music preference and why

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

I listen to rock: alternative, progressive, indie, and classic.

Simple:
-If you like to "rock-out" get the Super.Fi 5 Pro. Fullest bass.
-If you like to hear the details and precision within the music, get the ER4P. Best detail, mids and highs.
-If you care primarily about ergonomics, get the E4C. Best form-factor, with bass and mids similar to ER4P.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 28
From what I've read, which is quite extensive since I researched the super.fi 5s for about a month before choosing to buy them, the Super.Fi 5s are good all around, but not really the best choice for any any one type of music, with perhaps a bit of a bias for the bass heavy junk that seems to make up every youth-marketed album of the past decade. Once I get my pair in about a week, I'll hopefully have a much more defined and definite opinion about it ^^

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Thanks for all your help, guys. Any more opinions?

For another $100 you can get the E500PTH, and $200 more gets you the Triple.fi 10 - is that what you meant?
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back