Shure E4c: Tip selection advice
Sep 15, 2006 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mucknuggle

New Head-Fier
I've been trying out a few of the different tips. The small flex sleeves (transparent) seem to form a really nice seal. I'm having trouble with the gray soft flex sleeves though. The smallest ones for some reason seem to be a bit too small, yet the next size feels a bit too big. I'm not sure if either fits well. The foam tips fit very well. The triple flange tips are scary and I don't really want to insert them into my ears...

Anyway, I didn't really detect much difference in sound quality listening to some Justin Timberlake on my 5G iPod today vs yesterday when I used the foam ones (I was using the small grey soft flex sleeves today). I thought that there was a difference, but I couldn't quite place my finger on it. I was hoping that you guys could recommend a song or two with which to test the tips? Something that you think has a noticeable difference depending on tips.

I know that the general consensus around here is that foam tips > everything else, but I'm trying to see for myself. Anyhow, if you guys could provide a track or two and point out some specific things to listen for that you noticed, that would be great. I don't think that my ears have been "trained" very well for this kind of thing.

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 16
Try to find a track where the recording is rather hot (lots of treble energy). With the foam tips the sound should be bright but only mildly harsh (if at all). With the silcone tips the sound should be quite harsh. I generally use Disturbed's "The Sickness" album to test for this. The album should sound edgy, with some hints of harshness. FWIW, insertion depth plays a roll as well, but becareful not to push in the grey tips beyond the second bend in your ear canal. If you do the tip is likely to get stuck.

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
but becareful not to push in the grey tips beyond the second bend in your ear canal. If you do the tip is likely to get stuck.

For sure, you'll know too because they very uncomfortable when inserted that far.

Sep 15, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 16
I find the yellow foamies provide the best comfort, fit and sound, but I have to admit I often swear at them when I fail to get a good seal. Once they're in though, wow...

having said that - i may just dig out the other tips just for fun...

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 16
I have the E3Cs (not the E4Cs), and found the yellow foamies to work well -- but then I ordered the short Comply tips, and really like those a lot more. They're "denser" and more substantial, and they seem more durable.

If they fit the E4Cs, I think you would like them (no "training" required), if you already like the yellow foamies.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 16
I use the triple flanges with my E3C's. I cut the last flange off and shortened the stem to give them a better profile and more comfortable fit. Works well for me. So i suppose they are bi-flange now...

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
I have the E3Cs (not the E4Cs), and found the yellow foamies to work well -- but then I ordered the short Comply tips, and really like those a lot more. They're "denser" and more substantial, and they seem more durable.

If they fit the E4Cs, I think you would like them (no "training" required), if you already like the yellow foamies.

I've always used the Shure yellow foamies with my E4 and those large black foamies with my ER4P. Since the tips are interchangeable I'm guessing that the Comply tips would be superior for both IEMs.

I think I might try them. Where is the best(cheapest) place to buy them?

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 16
I have the e3's. I would also recommend the Comply tips. I currently have the longer ones, but will buy some short ones next time. Here is my experience with the tips:

Clear Tips
Pro-They do provide the best insolation, provided one size matches your ear canal
Con-Can't wear for more than an hour without causing some discomfort.

Silicon
Pro-Most comfortable.
Con-If your doing workouts or cutting grass, they tend to get sweaty. This causes them to fall out easier that the clear tips. Also, due to the hollow filling, they don't seem to provide enough bass (and I'm not even a basshead).

Yellow Foam
Pro-Excellent fit. A good combination of confort and seal from the tips listed above.
Con-They tend to hold the moisture and ear wax. They are difficult to (or can't be) washed.

Comply (Long)
Pro- Superior to the yellow foamies. They are denser (as LaBreaHead stated). This provides a better seal and more powerful bass than all except the clear tips. They can be washed using liquid soap to extend life. They wash much better than the yellow foamies.
Cons-More expensive than the yellow foamies.

Anyway, those are my opinions, for what they are worth.

Also, when testing I try to find a song that has a good mixture of treble and bass. If you can't, then use two songs, one for treble, one for bass.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 16
"Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy them [Comply's]?"

I got them from one of the Head-Fi sponsors (shown at the top and bottom of this thread) ... I don't think of them as being inexpensive, but having also bought (and liked) the yellow foamies, I can say I personally found the Comply's to be a better overall value.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 16
I always wore yellow foamies until I tried the comply tips. I bought the long ("standard") size which are actually a bit too long for the Shure IEM's. They make a shorter version that are supposed to be perfect for Shure's. I prefer the build, comfort and performance of the Comply tips over the Shures. I will buy the shorter version next time. The Comply's are a bit more expensive than the Shures, but they last Sooo much longer. I never bother trying to wash the Shure tips--I just toss them, but the Comply tips can easily be washed. In the longrun, I think the Complys are actually less expensive.

I'm not sure who has the lowest prices; I have ordered them from several headfi sponsor sites and they seem pretty competitive. I have seen the Shure tips at brick & mortar GuitarCenter stores, but not the Comply tips.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 16
Those Complys - they don't appear to be suitable for the e4 (i.e., not on their list). Has anyone used them with the e4s?

By the way, I tried the clear sleeves last night for a few hours - great fit and sound quality was quite close to the yellow foamies, although I do think the latter provide a bit better bass. More testing required, though - I'll be using the clear sleeves all this week and see how it goes.

Also, this is technically my second pair of e4c IEMs as my first pair started to give out on a flight from Singapore to New Zealand last weekend. Replaced under warranty - no questions asked. I'll definitely be buying Shure again...

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 16
I used Complys on my E4s all the time. The short ones fit perfectly. They also work well on the ER4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back