Shure E4C or UE Super.Fi 5 PRO?
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DVDude

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently using Sony E888 and looking to upgrade to either E4C or Super.Fi 5 Pro.

I mainly listen to pop songs, and I really enjoyed the E888. Can someone tell me which of the audio profiles of the E4C and Super.Fi 5 Pro will suit me better?

Thx a lot

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
Err... um... did you just miss seeing all those recent threads on cracked super fi 5's?

It's a shame too, I was considering buying them.

It was a bad batch UE even admitted it. UE will replace em if they crack, just like that.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Some are on their 4th replacement. I'm on my third pretty soon; the majority here are on their 3rd already, and are already experiencing cracks.

However, the solution has finally come: they are shipping the 5 Pros in metallic casing! I think I'll wait a bit more and then send them in so I can get them for sure as well as the new cable.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDude
Hi all,

I am currently using Sony E888 and looking to upgrade to either E4C or Super.Fi 5 Pro.

I mainly listen to pop songs, and I really enjoyed the E888. Can someone tell me which of the audio profiles of the E4C and Super.Fi 5 Pro will suit me better?

Thx a lot

There are many, many threads dedicated to this question. Try a search and you'll get more info than you would ever want on both.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Some are on their 4th replacement. I'm on my third pretty soon; the majority here are on their 3rd already, and are already experiencing cracks.

However, the solution has finally come: they are shipping the 5 Pros in metallic casing! I think I'll wait a bit more and then send them in so I can get them for sure as well as the new cable.

I sent mine in last week, and I called them today. They said that all of their 5 Pros are on backorder until early next week, but the one that they'll be sending me early next week IS the new version with the new cables. I'm not sure what you mean by the metallic casing, mind expandign on this a little further?

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi all,

Just want to ask if anyone have both the Sony E888 and the Shure E4C. Does the E4C have a milder bass than E888?

I tried the E2c and I don't really like the lack-of-bass. This is my main reason for wanting the Super.Fi 5 Pro more than E4C... Should I think otherwise?

Thx

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral
I sent mine in last week, and I called them today. They said that all of their 5 Pros are on backorder until early next week, but the one that they'll be sending me early next week IS the new version with the new cables. I'm not sure what you mean by the metallic casing, mind expandign on this a little further?

i think the metallic casing is 'metallic finish' casing (still plastic but metallic finish like on cars)...

ue5pro7ti.jpg

not sure if the replacements are still coming with clear cords or black now, but mine are from beginning of June.

and no cracks on mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeah they are like a very dark grey glossy metallic car paint. These pictures are of my replacements. Any purple tinting visible in photos is NOT real life. Some of my photo attempts showed a purple tint, but to the eye there's zero hint - just the black/grey.

uenew-1.jpg

uenew-2.jpg

These were shipped in the 1st week of July.

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDude
Hi all,

we're all waiting for Shure E500s (at twice the price)

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman
Yeah they are like a very dark grey glossy metallic car paint. These pictures are of my replacements. Any purple tinting visible in photos is NOT real life. Some of my photo attempts showed a purple tint, but to the eye there's zero hint - just the black/grey.

These were shipped in the 1st week of July.

Thanks for the pictures!

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 17
Hmmm, that gloss sure is an E500 mock-up, no doubt on that. Too bad that triangular protuberance is the worst-looking thing ever
wink.gif

I never heard the Super.fis. I'm very pleased with the E4c when I want detail and sparkle, but if you want punchy bass, I guess the Super.fis are your slice of bread. The E4c are anything but punchy.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Hey DVDude,

Personally I don't like the way super.5 PROs fit, and not too crazy about the sound either (I don't HATE the sound, but...) I prefer the E4c. But if you like the Sony sound, and if you aren't used to the sound of armature drivers, I think you will like the super.fi sound more. I am not here to recommend 5 PROs, but I do think you will like them better than E4c, at first anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back