Shure E4C or Etymotic 4P's???
Jul 31, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 90
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I didn't think I'd get that good of a response.

I know what kind of speaker I enjoy listening to...great imaging & soundstaging and that wonderful holographic sound. I also enjoy good musical instrument separation...with lots of air around the instruments.

I don't know if any of these could provide that but if I could get near that I'd love it. I mainly listen to softer music...not rock. I enjoy jazz, blues, solo piano/guitar, some classical. Singers and standards like Harry Connick Jr and Michael Buble...plus instrumental music.

It sounds from everyone like the Shure's might be my best bet. Any more good info/advice?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs
I also enjoy good musical instrument separation...with lots of air around the instruments.
It sounds from everyone like the Shure's might be my best bet. Any more good info/advice?

Thanks!

Reading your first sentence, the ER4's provide more "separation" and "air" than the Shures ever did for me. The ER4's provide a wonderful experience with layered music, and a more even soundstage to my ears.

The ER4's really do require an amp to really shine though, and if you get the Xin Supermacro 3 with the bass boost, and impedance switch, the ER4's really come into a league of their own.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #18 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I didn't think I'd get that good of a response.

I know what kind of speaker I enjoy listening to...great imaging & soundstaging and that wonderful holographic sound. I also enjoy good musical instrument separation...with lots of air around the instruments.

I don't know if any of these could provide that but if I could get near that I'd love it. I mainly listen to softer music...not rock. I enjoy jazz, blues, solo piano/guitar, some classical. Singers and standards like Harry Connick Jr and Michael Buble...plus instrumental music.

Thanks!

ER4 then.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 90
Art: The Etymotic are more neutral and faithful to the signal. The treble roll-off of the E4 may be desirable on distorted program material or if your ears are sensitive to highs.

I never hear harshness or shrillness with the ER4, but I listen only to commercial CDs with excelent associated compnents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
You are making it sound like the E4 is bad if you have bad tastes, and that the ER4 is superior if you have the "proper" taste.

The E4 is fun-sounding, even unamped from the ipod while on the go, but has a treble roll-off. The ER4 has very nice detail and clarity, but lacks the musicality aspect found in the E4. It's a trade-off; you have to choose which aspect of sound you want to sacrifice. You can't have everything at this price range!

Art: My comments were descriptive of objective reality.

So were yours.

Excitement is the "proper" taste for some, while faithfullness to the signal is for others.

Bad program material or equipment often is revealed in the treble. The Shures are more forgiving of either because of their treble roll off. The Shure treble roll off gives a bass and midrange emphasis that is exciting, and is preferred by many.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 90
Sounds good! Since the Etymotic's provide that sounds you all describe how do the Shure's contrast? It sounds to me that they may be more musical...I still want to not be fatigued by the earphones.

Sounds like I just have to go with what I want more. Which of these two offer the most listening pleasure? Also, should I consider the Super.fi 5 pro as a possible alternative? Again, most of my listening will be from a good quality Psych sony cd player that plays cd's wonderfully for a portable player w/o any external amplification.

Thank you all again-

Doug

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 90
Originally Posted by calvinhobs:

I also enjoy good musical instrument separation...with lots of air around the instruments.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Reading your first sentence, the ER4's provide more "separation" and "air" than the Shures ever did for me. The ER4's provide a wonderful experience with layered music, and a more even soundstage to my ears.

The ER4's really do require an amp to really shine though, and if you get the Xin Supermacro 3 with the bass boost, and impedance switch, the ER4's really come into a league of their own.

Right on! Couldn't agree more (except if I had said it myself). My Lehmann amp (home and car) used with the ER4S really is natural and true sound. The ER4P is better without an external amp. Just have to get used to taking time and care in inserting (and keeping clean - I regularly use a jewel screwdriver to ream around the inside - 1/8 inch so as not to go in enough to touch the green filter - of the tip of the rubber flange to kep it clean - filters last much longer).

Jul 31, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
The Etymotic are more neutral and faithful to the signal. The treble roll-off of the E4 may be desirable on distorted program material or if your ears are sensitive to highs.

I never hear harshness or shrillness with the ER4, but I listen only to commercial CDs with excelent associated compnents.

I assume you have, but have you listened to the e4's?

I think the 'harshness and shrillness' of ety's depends a lot on the source and the recording. With my er6i's, sometimes they would sound bright, and its peak at 2k hz would be a little grating to my ears. Other times, I would look for it and it wouldn't be there. They also need quite a bit of bass boost, imo, to not sound thin. You may not experience this with your excellent associated components, but we have to realize that every other poster might not.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I assume you have, but have you listened to the e4's?

I think the 'harshness and shrillness' of ety's depends a lot on the source and the recording. With my er6i's, sometimes they would sound bright, and its peak at 2k hz would be a little grating to my ears. Other times, I would look for it and it wouldn't be there. They also need quite a bit of bass boost, imo, to not sound thin. You may not experience this with your excellent associated components, but we have to realize that every other poster might not.

Yes, I have.

I have the Etymotic 4s and 4P, Sennheiser HD650, and Sony EX71 (for backup to the ER 4P) now. Have had more headphones than I can remember, including Stax electrostatic, Stax electret (not good at all), AKG 340, Grado HP-2, Grado SR60, Sonys, Shures, etc.

I don't mind the lack of bass you mention witht he Etys. The bass is natural and not overemphasized, like with many other headphones. You get much low bass impact from your body and not your ears, which is why good sub-woofer speakers have superior bass to headphones. You don't hear a 20 KHz note - you feel it.

If you find the harshness come and go, maybe it is not the Etymotics. I find harshness on a handful of CDs (like in parts of Ahknaten, by Philip Glasss) but this is in the CD and appears on any system I have ever listened to with his CD - a shame since only one recording is available.

Jul 31, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 90
There's one thing that struggles to show through on this post in my humble opinion.

How do you plan to use your headphones?

If it is on the move, then I would suggest avoiding the Etymtic Er4's, 'JASPER994' elluded to it, by way of the comment relating microphonic's.

The cord on the ER4's is a briaded type of twisted cord, with in-ear headphones this rubs on your clothing whilst moving and transmits the sound straight to the headphone like someone moving their shirt over a microphone during an interview on TV. It is some what off putting whilst listening to your music.

The Shure's use a different cable, and then route it over the back of your ear, the cable doesn't pick up so much rub, and the back of your ear dampens the effect so you don't get it. Making listentinging to your music enjoyable.

Bottom line, is:- if you are using these phones in a portable enviroment where you move around alot, the Etymotic 4's may not be the best choice for this reason alone despite how the sound stacks up in a static position.
The Shure's may not sound quite as accurate, but actually may be more enjoyable and 'useable'

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 90
I use my Etymotics when I walk with no problem - running, or even fast walking, is another matter.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #26 of 90
I would go for the E4. I haven't heard the E4 yet, but found myself preffering the E3s over the ER4p, due to the lack of musicallity and inaccuracy in both timbre, and decay of the etys. The ER4 however are IMO very detailed, though sibilant. I you just care about detail go for the ER4. If you just want a very musical sound from what I have read, go for the superfi pros. My bet is the E4/E4c sound fuller than the E3 which sound fuller than the etys. So if you want both detail, and musicality get the E4. I doubt they are more detailed than ER4. Accuracy-wize it seems the E4 are more accurate.

AS far as extension I have read that the ER4 goes further into the higher frequencies, but the E4c goes further into the lower frequencies. AS for the cable noise the etymotics are simply horrible, but that can be fixed with a mod.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
The ER4 however are IMO very detailed, though sibilant. .

FWIW, my ER4's are anything but sibilant, just clear, crisp highs, with no trace of harshness.

Anybody who prefers E3's (like Mr Iriver) obviously has a very low tolerance for high frequencies (considering that E3's are the least bright earphones I have heard to date)

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
FWIW, my ER4's are anything but sibilant, just clear, crisp highs, with no trace of harshness.

Anybody who prefers E3's (like Mr Iriver) obviously has a very low tolerance for high frequencies (considering that E3's are the least bright earphones I have heard to date)

They are sibilant compared to about every other phone I have tried. I don't it has to do with highs sensitivity, because I find the ER6i which have less high extension in comparison to the ER4, to sound mcuh more sibilant to an extent it becomes bothersome. And the ER4S which has even better treble extension is to me more comfortable to listen, though still somewhat sibilant.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #29 of 90
Quote:

They are sibilant compared to about every other phone I have tried. I don't it has to do with highs sensitivity, because I find the ER6i which have less high extension in comparison to the ER4, to sound mcuh more sibilant to an extent it becomes bothersome. And the ER4S which has even better treble extension is to me more comfortable to listen, though still somewhat sibilant.

I never hear this at all. All I can think of is it is coming from somwhere else in your signal chain and the Shure treble roll off masks it.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #30 of 90
Quote:

They are sibilant compared to about every other phone I have tried.

I disagree, if they are sibilant, it's because the recording is sibilant (which is a very common occurance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back