Shure E4c or Ety ER4???
Feb 26, 2005 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AficionadoZone

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a great portable earphone and I am debating between these two as I think they will both cost about the same. Does anyone know which looks like it will be better in terms of sound quality and ease of use? The ER4's lok like they may involve more work in terms of filters, upkeep etc. The Shure's look like more mainstream phones that don't need as much attention like their own filter tool and accessory kit. I just want to be able to toss them on and go.

Best,
Robert

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Well I don't think anybody but possibly Sugarfried would know much about it. Like you said ease of use I would guess Shure E4C and sound quality I would guess ER-4P.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 7
That would be my guess.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 7
At the last chicago meet I listened to all the Shure and Ety canalphones (except the ER4B), and liked the E4c best. It was a nearly speaker-like experience. All the other canalphones sounded like either canals or like grados (in terms of soundstaging), but the E4 was invisible, and the sound was coming from WAY out in the room. The tonal balance was to my liking, the details were all there laid bare and if you wanted to look at them, you could, but if you preferred to just sit back and groove, that's cool too, they didn't assault you.

I think that the ER4 falls about a quarter of the way from the E3 to the E4 in terms of how much I enjoyed it, and the E5 fell about halfway between the E3 and E4. The er6 were okay, and certainly better than the E2's, but still, the E4 stole my heart, and my wallet started weeping, knowing that it would be tapped in the future.

I know that the ety sound is the holy grail for some, but I think most people will prefer the less analytical and more natural sound of the E4's. I could see myself owning the ER4, but mostly for critical listening, not for daily use.

Feb 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AficionadoZone
Hi The Mac,

Thanks for the info. Did the E4c go way in your ear? Also, are they over the ear like most Shure or regular?

Thanks,
Robert

The E4's went in as far as the E3 and ER4 (roughly) and felt less intrusive than either the ER6, E2, and E5. The E4 and E# are the most comfortable (because I like the loop over the ear) then the ER4, then E5, then ER6, then E2. As for the cord, you can loop it over the ear (like most shures) or let it hang down, it's your option. I personally prefer around the ears and behind the neck, so that's how I wore them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back