Shure E4c/Ipod Needs Amp Help
Dec 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

leeg

Head-Fier
Hi,

Very informative forum here people, a vast of information. I have a 40g Ipod and some new Shure E4c's given to me as a gift. They are nice, and I agree with most poeple, it's kinda on the lean side, extremely detailed, exc. upper frequency extension, but way weak bass. I'm using the earpiece that's made from silicon and it seals nicely.

Anyway, I'd like to get a portable amp to go with it. I looked thru alot of posts, and seems the AE-1, LaRocca Pock Ref II with it's got that variable bass contour, and surprisingly, the new Hornet. I say that from the descriptions of it being very upfront, detailed, kinda bright....which is how I also feel the E4c is. I would've thought I'd see more endorsements for the SR71. I'm open to all suggestions.

What I'd like is obvioulsly better bass performance, but also if possible, tame the highs a bit, and give more midrange emphasis. I like to listen to everything, r&B/hip hop/reggae, jazz, female vocalists and beginning to forage into some classical.

My budget is flexible, about $200-$5-600? I just missed out on the Ref II sale. I was thinking of splurging for that Rudistor NK-01SE for $1100, but then I thought about cables and such and thought twice
wink.gif

Anyway, I know this has probably been hashed over too many times, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Christmas is upon us and we procrastinators need to hop on it! hehehe

Thanks,
Lee

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 10
Has been recommended time and time again, but I don't think you can do much better than one of the offerings from Xin: either the SuperMini-3 or the SuperMacro-3 V6. They both have a bass boost feature which makes the E4's low end come to life. I just got my SuperMini the other day and have been loving the sound coming from my E4s + 5G iPod.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Honestly, buying Etymotic foamie tips was a great upgrade to me. They're longer than the Shure tips, and I find them to do a better job of aligning the sound (ie, more clear, forward sound) and adding some more bass power. You can order a dozen for $12 or so, do a search.

I use an E4c through a Hornet. Hornet is a great amp, no doubt. And i like the E4c's. But I usually drive it from a computer source (AV-710) and have to equalize the bass up about 5db to make the E4c's much fun. If you can't equalize, I'd think the bass boost of a Xin amp (or similar) would probably win out over something like the Hornet.

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Sorry fo the double post. The server I think kept getting overloaded.

Anyway, no comments guys? I know this is a boring question, but I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Lee

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 10
One option you haven't mentioned. Consider Xin's Supermacro-3. I have one between my iPod and E4's. I love the sound and with the bass switch option it really fills out that low end.

Also the option to roll the opamps lets you really get the sound you want. I am using SA5534 OBCA and I really can't see changing my portable rig anytime soon.

I have not heard the latest verision (v6) but from what I can gather it is only an improvement. Just my 2 cents. Something to consider!

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Again, sorry guys for that double post. I"ve emailed the site mod. to see if he can combine these as Quackattack also was kind enough to respond, and incidently also rec. the Xin SuperMacro-3V6.
Wow, 3 replies and 3 suggestions for this amp. Excellent consensus
wink.gif

I'm not too educated about all the 'options' on his webpage:
http://www.fixup.net/products/ $349, exc. price. But what "Modules/Adapters and Dual version" upgrades are possible.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks again for all the help!

leeg

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 10
The Hornet is not very bright. A lot of those impressions are when the Hornet wasn't fully burned in. Although it is widely agreed the Hornet may give your music a slight edge, it won't make it bright. Of course, I am speaking from what I've read as well. I have a Hornet, but it's just passed the 100 hour burn in mark..still 150 or so more hours to go ;o.

Also are you sure you're getting a good seal with the e4cs? Have you given yourself a few days to do some mental burn in?

I ask this because I have the e3cs. While I kind of remember people saying that the e4c bass is a little bit less than the e3cs, they shouldn't bad enough to be "way weak". I use the e3c's with the medium grey flex tips. I get plenty of bass (for IEMs, anyways).

Not sure if I'm confusing you more than helping, but I thought I'd chip in since you seemed rather rushed.

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeg
Again, sorry guys for that double post. I"ve emailed the site mod. to see if he can combine these as Quackattack also was kind enough to respond, and incidently also rec. the Xin SuperMacro-3V6.
Wow, 3 replies and 3 suggestions for this amp. Excellent consensus
wink.gif

I'm not too educated about all the 'options' on his webpage:
http://www.fixup.net/products/ $349, exc. price. But what "Modules/Adapters and Dual version" upgrades are possible.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks again for all the help!

leeg

Looks like the mod merged the threads, although my post seems a little out of context now.
wink.gif

The SM3 (especially the latest version) is really designed to be super tweakable. It can be a little confusing at first as a result. I reccommend you start with it stock. This is Xin's prefered set up, and really sounds quite good. Check out the forums on his site for more info on what tweaks are available. There is a wealth of information there.

As for me, I have been satisfied with On Semi SA5534 in class A, output bypassed as the opamp. 627's have a really nice sound as well. Very punchy, but a little distant sounding for my taste.

As I understand it, the new version lets you change the buffers as well, this is not something I really understand. Perhaps someone else can elaborate.

This is one of the stong points of this amp. It is really fun to play around with! Good luck finding your amp/sound!
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo
Has been recommended time and time again, but I don't think you can do much better than one of the offerings from Xin: either the SuperMini-3 or the SuperMacro-3 V6. They both have a bass boost feature which makes the E4's low end come to life. I just got my SuperMini the other day and have been loving the sound coming from my E4s + 5G iPod.

Seconded! This amp is the best friend to the IEM. The bass boost is the best one I have ever heard in that it does not boost the low end of the mid and high ranges but stays specific to the low end bass. I have the stock version with switches and have not had a desire to change opamps, it sounds perfect to me. I'd recommend ordering the stock version and giving it some time and if it is not hitting the mark for you order some other opamps or whatever and tweak away!

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Seijang, I've had these for 6mos now. Got the best seal I can get using the long silicon tips. If I ever get the chance, I'll prob. get some customized tips made for me.

Quackattack, Thanks for explaining it to me. I found this webpage conc. this issue from Xin: http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1256

Very interesting there's such customization. Seems pretty plug n play if one can get the exact part numbers. http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions...t.do?id=NE5534
shows the sugg. SA5534An doesnt' have samples...only SA5534ANG and SA5534NG. Which one? The parts seem cheap and I know I can do the labor. Good thing he offers the CA and OB's on his website.

I guess from these suggestions that a Xin Supermacro is a great option. I guess as well the only other competitor would be that LaRocca Pocket Ref II with it's bass function. Though I must admit, this tweaking ability of the Xin is pretty cool.

Heck, I think I'll just follow everyone's advice, and go ahead and order a stock SuperMacro amp first and see how I like it. I can always update later if I can get specific part numbers. Too bad ya gotta wait so long to get one
wink.gif

Anyway, I just want to Thank Everyone again for the help!
leeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back