Shure E4C/G — Oh God!
May 11, 2006 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PiccoloNamek

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I sent my SF5Ps back to Headroom (I loved them, but I wanted to try out different brands). So I ordered the Shrue E4Gs and they just arrived today. WOW, what a difference! I can't even begin to describe how much better they sound. They have less bass, yes, but there is still more than enough of it. Instruments such as the double bass sound full, rich, and wonderful. (I'm using the foam tips, I haven't tried the others.) However, what is stunning to me are the midtones. SO much more prominent and clear. At first I thought they had slightly less treble, but now I think they actually have as much or more. Even on my crappy computer's crappy onboard sound card, they sound extremely clear and smooth. The sound as a whole is significantly more clear and detailed.

BUT, most importantly, I can actually stand to wear these. I've been wearing them for more than an hour straight with no problems. When I opened the package I was surprised at how small they were. I put them in... they don't irritate my ears! So smooth! The SF5Ps hurt the crap out of my pinnae. They housing was boxy and was constantly rubbing against them. But these, they're totally unobtrusive.

Well, I've gone on long enough. In my opinion, these are worlds better than the 5 Pros.

And to top it all off, today is the most beautiful day I have ever seen. Visibility extends for MILES, ultra-bright, clear sunlight, not too hot, not too cool, striking, deep blue sky, VIVID colors. It's like I'm seeing in fuji velvia slide film colors! A perfect day to go for a walk with my new IEMs.

Tell me, will the comply tips fit these?

May 11, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Tell me, will the comply tips fit these?

You mean Westone's comply tips, the long ones? They will, but the sound will be horrible. I've tried them with the E4c and it was like listening to a 1948 radio broadcast on the opposite side of a half-mile-long pipe. I went back to the tri-flanges sooooo fast
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by egokun
You mean Westone's comply tips, the long ones? They will, but the sound will be horrible. I've tried them with the E4c and it was like listening to a 1948 radio broadcast on the opposite side of a half-mile-long pipe. I went back to the tri-flanges sooooo fast
biggrin.gif

Hahaha, that sucks, because those tips look really soft and comfortable. Oh well, these stock foamies are still pretty damn comfortable.

May 11, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Congrats on the E4. I use the yellow Shure foamies and they remain comfortable for as long as I need (2~3 hours).

My second favorite tip is the tri-flange , modified into a bi-flange w/ shorter stalk.

At home I use a Micro DM with them...crossfeed with the Micro is heavenly.

May 11, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
My second favorite tip is the tri-flange , modified into a bi-flange w/ shorter stalk.

Is there a picture of this mod or a more detailed description? Exactly what did you cut off, the widest end or the narrowest end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back